Chilling and grilling...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My smoker:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_121289-46631-DGY784BDP_0__?productId=3772519&Ntt=smoker&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=smoker&page=2&facetInfo=

It's not a high end fancy one but works quite well. I did put stove gasket around the doors so they seal better.

I often wonder if I should break down and buy some other smoker that has a built in heat supply and a good thermostat, as opposed to my offset charcoal/wood smoker. I still have to babysit it and monitor the temps and fuel load. Gone are the days when I can stay up all night drinking beer and (hopefully remembering to) tend the smoker. I admit that the constant lighting of new coals and keeping the temp where I want it can be a bother . . . but somehow I always enjoy my meat more when I have to work hard for it.

I admit I have made some adjustments when it comes to foods that require a long low and slow smoke, and have developed a technique for smoking brisket that lets me get the taste I want, drink beer and sleep, but I think I kind of like it the way it is.

Besides . . . what Madame DeFarge doesn't know won't hurt her - or me!

I use a remote meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature of what I'm cooking so it comes out at precisely the right time.

Reactions: ScotL
What if one found a used one reasonably priced?
Are they worth it? Start up, heat up etc VS. grilling with "Hank Hill" Propane?

Honestly I don't have a Pellet Grill, but I've spent hours researching them. My old gasser was Natural gas plumbed to the house, but when I moved to the country we have a propane tank. I wasn't ready for charcoal (so I thought) and started researching pellets vs propane. Start up and heating up is nearly the same as Propane. Especially if you manual light it, similar to lighting your propane grill with a match cuz the igniter isn't working.

I really wanted a Pellet grill, but ultimately couldn't justify the cost. I ended up with a Weber performer platinum, which has propane burner that gets your charcoal started. At this point I love this grill, easy starts with the propane assist, and charcoal cooking is fantastic compared to my gassers of past. I was never a charcoal guy until now, and can't imagine going back.

They aren't grills. They are smokers.

The best ones (most expensive) can do both, but still don't excel at either. Probably the best description is actually a wood fired convection oven.

The problem with the offsets is that you need a very expensive one to get high quality. I'd love to get a high quality reverse flow offset stick burner, but can't justify the cost right now.

Do NOT get the CharGriller Smokin' Pro from Lowes. That thing is a wicked POS.

The WSM is only $400 and does a fantastic job. I have never had to add coals in the middle of a cook, even after 19+hr pork butt smokes in freezing weather.

A nice Kamado is on my wish list for the future....just because. You can't have too many smokers :)

Reactions: Lfdp13RET
I'm on my third Traeger and have a Texas model now. I found the barrel on craigslist for cheap and then bought the hopper assembly and electronics online. I'm in to the entire grill for about half the cost of a new one. I keep upgrading in size, so I give the older ones to my family. Find a used one, upgrade the electronics (thermostat) and complete a few other mods and you'll be in hog heaven.

I use a remote meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature of what I'm cooking so it comes out at precisely the right time.
Same here. It's hard to tell when meat is done on my pellet grill without a thermometer because it's best to keep the cover closed as much as possible. Plus, the outside doesn't char.

And when you're not cooking, you can use it to measure your pellet stove's convection air temperature.

The problem with the offsets is that you need a very expensive one to get high quality.

Agreed. I picked mine up on closeout at HD years ago, before New Braunfels was bought out by Char-Broil. Come to think of it, I bought at the end of the summer when they were clearing out space to bring in pellets! It is much heavier steel than the new ones and has provided lots of good eating for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.