ChimCap Smooth Wall 2-ply Chimney Liner Direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ghaun

Feb 7, 2018
PA
Hello,
I am performing an installation of a Chimcap ForeverVent Smoothwall 2-ply 8" chimney liner. I can not find any instructions regarding the orientation. I originally thought that the smooth inner part should face down and the gills pointing upwards to aid in less smoke friction. In further research, it seems that the gills facing up could allow liquid creosote and condensation to drip down and collect in those slots. This being said, I am now leaning toward installing with the slots (gills) down and the smooth part facing up. While this is not quite as smooth for the smoke, it would definitely mitigate dripping creosote and condensation from collecting in upwards facing slots. I will be installing tomorrow.

Let me know your thoughts. ...much appreciated in advance!

Hello,
I am performing an installation of a Chimcap ForeverVent Smoothwall 2-ply 8" chimney liner. I can not find any instructions regarding the orientation. I originally thought that the smooth inner part should face down and the gills pointing upwards to aid in less smoke friction. In further research, it seems that the gills facing up could allow liquid creosote and condensation to drip down and collect in those slots. This being said, I am now leaning toward installing with the slots (gills) down and the smooth part facing up. While this is not quite as smooth for the smoke, it would definitely mitigate dripping creosote and condensation from collecting in upwards facing slots. I will be installing tomorrow.

Let me know your thoughts. ...much appreciated in advance!
Gills pointing down. But if you have the ability to return it and get a different type of liner i would strongly recomend it. That is the least durable liner type on the market.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Some of those brands of lightweight Smooth-wall liners have Red Arrows on the outside, arrow points upward.

Hello,

There are no arrows. Unfortunately, I can not return it. My original concern was smokeflow. I called chimcap. They said that they normally recommend gills up; though, either will work. I have a straight shot up, so smokeflow will be good. I will most likely install with gills down. I think that the liquid creosote collection is more of a concern. I would appreciate any other opinions as well. Thanks so much!

Hello,

There are no arrows. Unfortunately, I can not return it. My original concern was smokeflow. I called chimcap. They said that they normally recommend gills up; though, either will work. I have a straight shot up, so smokeflow will be good. I will most likely install with gills down. I think that the liquid creosote collection is more of a concern. I would appreciate any other opinions as well. Thanks so much!
Really they said either will work??? What a joke they dont even know thier own product.