Chimney Cap Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Plunge

Sep 23, 2021
Woodstock, VT
Hi I just removed a 4" liner from our chimney that was used for a direct vent lp stove installed in our house. We are converting back to wood and plan to use the existing center chimney and flue that appears to be in good shape. We are not putting a new liner in the chimney. When the lp stove and liner was installed they riveted and glued a plate cap on the chimney with an 8" round opening to attach the liner and cap to. I'm wondering if I can leave the metal plate on the chimney and put an 8" rain/snow/critter cap on it or if I should pull the metal plate off and put a cap over the whole thing (flue and masonry) like I see done in some applications.

Here is a picture of the plate for reference. Obviously I would rather leave it since it is riveted to the masonry but if not having the full opening or the glue up there is a bad idea I will take the time to pull it off.

Thanks!

IMG_9032.JPG

What is the ID of the tile liner in the chimney? What stove?

An oval stainless steel liner is strongly advised here.

Reactions: crna
The quote we got for that was $3000 to knock out the tile to be able to put a new stainless liner in. We don't have $3000 or the time to do that at this point so plan to just use the chimney flue as is. Do you know of a way to line it without first knocking out the tile?

The quote we got for that was $3000 to knock out the tile to be able to put a new stainless liner in. We don't have $3000 or the time to do that at this point so plan to just use the chimney flue as is. Do you know of a way to line it without first knocking out the tile?
Yes an oval insulated liner as begreen said

Duraliner insulated oval liner would work or a pro with a proper ovalizer could do this. get some more quotes and ask about an insulated oval liner. If they start BS'ing you, say thanks very much and go on to the next one.

Reactions: moresnow