Chimney cap for Garrison Three stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulk

Sep 28, 2011
North Shore MA
Hello everyone, I recently bought a house containing a Garrison Three wood stove. I wasn't familiar with wood stoves and was delighted to hear from someone that this is a terrific stove to have. I'm hoping to give the stove a whirl this winter. In the meantime I have a problem - I need to get a new chimney cap to keep small birds from flying down the flue.
It's happened several times already, so the cap that's on there now is clearly not cutting it.

I've heard that the Guardian brand cap is best for this, but am open to other recommendations. I'm also not clear on what size of a cap I should get. I understand that the Garrison Three has a six-inch flue, but I'm not sure how that translates into chimney cap size.

I'd be most grateful for any advice you all have to give me about the cap, both size and brand recommendations. Thanks very much! -Paul

A chimney cap usually does not relate to the stove model. The question here is what exact type of chimney you have...that is, metal or masonry?

In either case, you should be able to obtain a normal cap with screen - the screen is typically 3/4" - which should keep all birds out of the flue.

Example if metal chimney - Weathershield by ICP - be sure to match your chimney type (air cooled vs. packed).
If you have a masonry chimney, check the size of the flue tile and get a unit which fits that.

Thanks for your reply - in my case the chimney is metal (I think galvanized steel). I believe it is a packed style chimney - my understanding is that if there's about a 2 inch difference between the flue coming out of the stove and the chimney, then it's packed. My flue (I'm not sure if this is proper use of the term, but I mean the part that comes directly out of the stove and up towards the ceiling) is 6 inch diameter, while the larger chimney section to which it attaches is 8 inches. So in that case, I'm thinking I'd need a cap with an 8 inch diameter so that it will fit on the chimney. Does that sound right to you?

thanks again, Paul

Webmaster said:
A chimney cap usually does not relate to the stove model. The question here is what exact type of chimney you have...that is, metal or masonry?

In either case, you should be able to obtain a normal cap with screen - the screen is typically 3/4" - which should keep all birds out of the flue.

Example if metal chimney - Weathershield by ICP - be sure to match your chimney type (air cooled vs. packed).
If you have a masonry chimney, check the size of the flue tile and get a unit which fits that.

If the chimney is 6" ID and 8" OD (outside diameter), that is a packed (insulated) chimney......

You still would get a cap for a 6" chimney.....many (most?) of the caps slide down inside the pipe, which of course means they are 6".

So, in shore, if the ID is 6" get a cap for a 6". You could use either a generic one like the weathershield or a brand specific type like Selkirk or Hart and Cooley.
http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-13862.html

Thanks so much, I didn't realize you should order to fit the inside diameter, I would have ordered the 8" one and had to send it back! I really appreciate your help. -Paul

Webmaster said:
If the chimney is 6" ID and 8" OD (outside diameter), that is a packed (insulated) chimney......

You still would get a cap for a 6" chimney.....many (most?) of the caps slide down inside the pipe, which of course means they are 6".

So, in shore, if the ID is 6" get a cap for a 6". You could use either a generic one like the weathershield or a brand specific type like Selkirk or Hart and Cooley.
http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-13862.html

Status
Not open for further replies.