Chimney Cap Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgv02002

Nov 19, 2014
Orange, CT
Hello All,

1st off just want to say it looks like the weather for all day burning is on its way (at least in CT).
2nd I had my chimney and stove cleaned and the cleaner told me that I need a new cap as mine wasn't really made for wood burning stoves. It looks something like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_127455-82862-SS10U_0__?productId=3612846.

Does it really make that much of a difference, he said it was because it can get (and was getting) clogged up by creosote? I am not having any trouble when burning so I wasn't sure if I should replace it. He wanted to sell and install one for me for $150.....I told him I wanted to look around, but really just wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks!

If it is just like that one i see no issue. Yes the screen can clog but with good wood and proper burning technique it usually is not to much of an issue

I'd say he was fishing for an easy sale, sometimes it works and sometimes not.

My screen has squares of 1 cm, smaller than your link. No problem if the wood is dry and burning well.

I think mine was 1/4 inch mesh, it plugged in 2 months. No screen for 15 years. It sounds like he was selling you something

Status
Not open for further replies.