Chimney Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maple I disagree. You mean to tell me your stove never had a cool fire and created black soot and light creosote? Every stove has. What happens when you burn a hotter fire the black soot and light creosote gets burnt and cleans up. Are you a rookie in burning? Creosote is dangerous when it's caked heavy but when light it's easy to burn off. The poster even stated he burned cool which would agree with what I was saying. Again burn a hotter fire for a longer period and it will vanish

And Maple you haven't swept your chimney in seven years? Wow, not the person to be giving advice then!

Craig

You have no idea about me to be throwing stones like that.

It's connected to an insert and the liner isn't insulated. I was burning cooler in the beginning because I was going by the stove thermometer which turned out not to be a stove top thermometer. I now burn 500-600. Sorry about the pick. Too cold and we now have snow on the roof to get a better picture.
This may be ok. If you are uncertain, schedule a sweep after the first cord of wood is burned. It's hard to tell without local eyes checking it out.

Reactions: deborita3
Maple I disagree. You mean to tell me your stove never had a cool fire and created black soot and light creosote? Every stove has. What happens when you burn a hotter fire the black soot and light creosote gets burnt and cleans up. Are you a rookie in burning? Creosote is dangerous when it's caked heavy but when light it's easy to burn off. The poster even stated he burned cool which would agree with what I was saying. Again burn a hotter fire for a longer period and it will vanish

And Maple you haven't swept your chimney in seven years? Wow, not the person to be giving advice then!

Craig

Now that I'm in front of something with an actual keyboard.

This thread is about a chimney cap. Which is outside of the chimney, surrounded by moving cold air.

There is no way simply burning a hotter fire once in a while will get rid of creosote on a chimney cap. Unless that fire starts a flue fire, that then burns off what was on the cap. Advising someone to do that, is the wrong advise.

And some of us burn wood in things that don't make any creosote. So I'm at 7 years going on forever - I will never clean my chimney again.

Reactions: jatoxico

Craig

Sorry but burning hot fires is not going to clean the chimney cap creosote buildup. A wire brush will though.

Reactions: maple1 and jatoxico