Chimney Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shazza

Feb 25, 2019
san francisco
I currently have this type of chimney cap, and my neighbor says the smoke comes in her window. Hoping to avoid having to add an extension.
If I was to change this cap, is there one that would direct the smoke upwards?

Attachments

• IMG_6257.jpg
    IMG_6257.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 123
I currently have this type of chimney cap, and my neighbor says the smoke comes in her window. Hoping to avoid having to add an extension.

No. You have a neighbor problem, she won't ever be happy unless you stop burning. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
No. You have a neighbor problem, she won't ever be happy unless you stop burning. Sorry for your loss.
I wonder if each city has its own code for burning wood.

What stove are you using and how are you running it? The cap has nothing to do with if the stove smokes or not

I'm a new burner, so yes, the smoke is probably due to my lack of skills. I bought a house with a Lopi Answer-95, and had it cleaned when I moved in. Replaced the door handle which was stuck and put in new door gasket, and everything else seems to be working fine. I love fires but burning in a wood stove definitely has a learning curve. I've been reading and watching videos and welcome any tips.

We can't burn around here when its a poor air quality day, unless its the only source of heat. It doesn't get super cold, but it is very damp and the stove helps dry out the house.

Thanks for the information regarding the chimney cap and previous help regarding the flue extension. It'll save me a bunch of money if I can just learn the smoke-free fire technique .

I'm a new burner, so yes, the smoke is probably due to my lack of skills. I bought a house with a Lopi Answer-95, and had it cleaned when I moved in. Replaced the door handle which was stuck and put in new door gasket, and everything else seems to be working fine. I love fires but burning in a wood stove definitely has a learning curve. I've been reading and watching videos and welcome any tips.

We can't burn around here when its a poor air quality day, unless its the only source of heat. It doesn't get super cold, but it is very damp and the stove helps dry out the house.

Thanks for the information regarding the chimney cap and previous help regarding the flue extension. It'll save me a bunch of money if I can just learn the smoke-free fire technique .
Raising the chimney pipe a length might help. Try top-down starting the fire. That can have less smokey starts.

It's not that I couldn't keep the filter clean, it's that I didn't want to climb up on my roof to maintain it and since I've never had an animal climb down into the house stove I saw no reason to maintain a filter there.

Bird screen. That's probably a good name for it too.

Reactions: bholler
It's not that I couldn't keep the filter clean, it's that I didn't want to climb up on my roof to maintain it and since I've never had an animal climb down into the house stove I saw no reason to maintain a filter there.

Bird screen. That's probably a good name for it too.
Rotary cleaners do a great job of cleaning the screen from the bottom

I think she might be "burning" something too!

San Francisco, mild temps in the 60s, fresh air?
It's winter and 10f here, 60f with rain there, we're having trouble relating.

I guess. I wouldnt think to light a stove when it's 60+ degrees. I suppose to OP that might be desirable.

There are some yahoos that keep a window open a bit year round even in the frozen winter for the sake of some "fresh air".