Chimney cleaning question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike033089

Jan 28, 2024
Nj
Hello all, I’ve had a Woodstove (hearthstone phoenix 8611) now for about 5 years that came with our home. I clean the stove and chimney frequently just to be safe. I have a question about the extent of cleaning the Chimney. For my set up I have a clay flue that goes from the basement where the clean out is through the home and out to the roof. Chimney runs through the center of the home where I have a Woodstove on the first floor(ranch). Do I need to brush all the way down to the clean out which sits 12’ below the wood stove or just from the Woodstove up? Thanks all

image.jpg

Reactions: ispinwool
Just past the thimble will suffice. The stove pipe also will need cleaning.

Good for you keeping you and yours safe!

Does the pipe need cleaning so often?

If you start noticing a creosote glaze on the clay liner, shine a flashlight below the thimble to make sure you dont have dried up liquid creosote below it.

Reactions: Mike033089
I’m not sure. I never have creosote in my stove pipe. I always run it 350-400 on the pipe (single wall). It seems to be all soot and fly ash. I get about a cup or so out of it.
A cup of soot and fly ash every month is okay.
You could do it every two months and see how that goes.

350-400 on the pipe (magnetic thermometer) is rather high; it means you're running 700-800 F inside. Maybe it cools down more in the (likely larger?) clay flue, and then it might be good to have some heat input.
It's not too high, but it's "up there", imo.

In any case, a cup is okay, and you're keeping safe.

Reactions: Mike033089
A cup of soot and fly ash every month is okay.
You could do it every two months and see how that goes.

350-400 on the pipe (magnetic thermometer) is rather high; it means you're running 700-800 F inside. Maybe it cools down more in the (likely larger?) clay flue, and then it might be good to have some heat input.
It's not too high, but it's "up there", imo.

In any case, a cup is okay, and you're keeping safe.
So the thermometer says that’s the “ideal burn” range. If I moved the thermometer to around the 90 the temp is in the 250 range right before it enters the flue. However the chimney is probably 20’ above where the stove pipe enters. I do get some very thin glaze on the top couple feet of the flue. Also the manual from the stove talks only about stove top temps being it’s soapstone and no mention of stove pipe temps. So I was never totally sure what to go off of temp wise. The manual said run the stove on high daily for 45 mins to keep it clean but if I did that it would be off the gauge temp wise on the pipe and I feel that’s dangerous.

Hm, maybe so. I have to leave this to others; my stove runs much cooler.

It's not bad, but I think you're loosing quite a bit of heat this way. On the other hand if you do have some creosote up top then decreasing it is not smart.

Hm, maybe so. I have to leave this to others; my stove runs much cooler.

It's not bad, but I think you're loosing quite a bit of heat this way. On the other hand if you do have some creosote up top then decreasing it is not smart.
I am open to all suggestions and ideas. And am learning each year. I was never raised around wood stoves until I moved into a rural area and it’s the cost effective option and I love splitting wood. Unless the temps are below freezing 24/7 I can get the house which is a ranch about 2200sq ft to 75 degrees. I let it burn out to coals prior to bed and turn the heat to 62 and have coals left in the morning around 430am to get a fire going again.

You're cautious, attentive, and logical... All the makings of a good wood burner!

I love the stove fence! My wife would setup shop inside there in a second! Hmmm...