Chimney cleaning required with propane logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potentialburner

Mar 20, 2014
NC
I have propane fired gas logs in my masonry fireplace. They are for decoration, not heating, and aren't used that much (especially with current propane prices!). No glass, no blower, just the logs sitting in the firebox.

Does the chimney need cleaning like wood burning requires?

Btw I had burned wood for a couple of years before putting in the gas logs. Also very occasional use. If there is any residue left from the wood in the chimney can that be a hazard with the gas logs?

well it should have been completely cleaned before switching to gas. That is required by code just about everywhere so I would have it cleaned now. Otherwise as long as the log set is burning right there should be no need to clean the chimney you might want to have it checked every 5 years or so to make sure things are still in good shape but should not need cleaned.

Well if he was trying to heat an open fire place with a log set in it would be a really bad way to try to do it.

For those who are asking, I use a central heat pump system with a propane furnace as the backup heat, to heat my house. The fireplace with the gas logs is decorative, or for spot heat like sitting next to it to warm up after being outside in the cold.

After I'm retired from the cube farm I might consider supplementing my house heat with a wood insert, or a separate standalone wood stove since fireplace design isn't very inset-friendly, picture below. For now those are too high maintenance for my current lifestyle. Until I'm retired and life is less frenetic, I need to be able to flip a switch to turn on my fireplace and my house heat.

photo5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.