Chimney company consolidation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
At what point do monopoly laws come into play?

Reactions: stoveliker
I am amazed at the recent consolidation in this industry. On the one hand, this may help standardization but on the other, it deters competition. DuraVent now has essentially a near monopoly in the residential market having quietly bought up many other brands.

Airmate
Hart & Cooley
RPS
AmeriFlow
Heatfab
Security Chimneys
AmeriVent
Lima
Selkirk
AMPCO
Milcor
Ward
Duravent
Portals Plus

Ventis/Champion/Olympia/Drolet are all under the SBI parent.

ICC-Excel is the holdout, but for how long?
I am pretty sure Olympia is not owned by sbi. They are owned by argosy private equity. They also recently acquired Copperfield.

Jeremiahs is getting to be another option for premium chimney pipe as well now

Ah, I thought Olympia was Ventis under another name. Sounds more like a partnership, maybe only for Canadian sales? The SBI company history had me confused:.

In 2013, SBI begins building chimneys for the first time in its history. This new production line is made possible due to a 2012 joint venture with U.S-based Olympia Chimney Supply Inc. SBI owns 75% of the operation, which gives rise to the new Olympia Chimney of Canada division. SBI then went on to create its own range of chimney products, releasing the Vortex brand in 2013.

Ah, I thought Olympia was Ventis under another name. The SBI company history has me confused apparently:

In 2013, SBI begins building chimneys for the first time in its history. This new production line is made possible due to a 2012 joint venture with U.S-based Olympia Chimney Supply Inc. SBI owns 75% of the operation, which gives rise to the new Olympia Chimney of Canada division. SBI then went on to create its own range of chimney products, releasing the Vortex brand in 2013.

Olympia is the company they make ventis pipe. Forever flex armor flex etc.

And yes Olympia and sbi have been working together but neither one owns the other company. Apparently sbi is majority owner of the Canadian division of Olympia though. We have moved away from Olympia products in the past few years though