Chimney company says, "Impossible".

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gleifheit

Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
southeast MA
We have a very old beehive chimney with 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs fireplace. We would like to have a woodstove installed downstairs and the chimney company says that it would be impossible to install a liner because of the narrow flue opening (4") and the fact that the flue has a couple 45 degree turns.
Is this correct? Are we completely out of luck because we cant get a liner installed? Can we have our chimney refurbished and just direct exhaust right into the flue with a duct adapter?
Please help, we are dying to have a woodstove burning again.

Thanks!

Well, it will be imposible to pass a 6" flue through a 4" hole.

As I understand it, if the flue is otherwise in good shape, you can vent into it, but I know of no wood stove that will vent into 4"... A pellet stove probably could. But I don't know about having multiple vent on other floors and such..

Can you not find a place to put a free standing stove and then just use prefab chimney, ignoring the existing one?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
What if it was a masonry chimney was 4"x8" or something and in good shape.... cross sectional area is close to a 6" pipe, would that work out for him?

The chimney is enormous and central, making it hard to ignore. To clarify, the cavity is not 4" by 4" but more like 4 by 15. And I think that that is only on the 45 degree section of it. So the area is substantial just not wide enough to accommodate a liner. I've had fires in the fireplace and the d chimney sucks up the smoke. My question is just if I hook up a stove pipe directly to where the damper is on the top of the fireplace, would that work?

A very old beehive oven style chimney likely has an unlined flue....no clay liner, just exposed bricks. Meaning, it's probably not a good idea to burn the fireplace or vent a wood stove into these flues.
There are companies that can put an inflatable bladder down the flue and pour an insulating mix around it. Once they remove the bladder, the flue is lined. However, a couple 45 degree bends may make even that difficult.
You might want to consult with an experienced mason who has experience restoring old chimneys. Old chimneys can contain hidden surprises, like shared flues, old thimble holes not properly closed, wood and combustibles where they don't belong etc.

I'm guessing you live in a nice old center chimney colonial :) :) Love to see some picks.

The issue is the damper opening, right? It has to pass that small area into the smoke chamber and then from there up I'd bet its a huge flue - possibly to big to draft properly with an EPA stove. I wonder if they can do something with an oval section through the damper and then attached to regular 6in round flex.

Another question to ask - does that big chimney have separate flues for each fireplace, or do they join into one big one up at the attic level?

Well, nothing is impossible, maybe improbable. I am sure the chimney can be retrofitted, it is just a matter of labor and costs.

Reactions: WhitePine
How big is it in all the other area's (not in the 45* section) and where is the 45* section in relation to where the stove is going?

We bought an old house with 3 chimneys. Had to install a new class a in order to burn wood. Honestly, I'm a little glad cuz I know the set up I have now is sound. Pricey, though!

Impossible, no. Safe?, probably not. With a cross-section of 60 sq in. it will support most stoves if a thimble is installed in the face above the damper. But for several safety issues already mentioned there would need to be a complete video scan and poured liner done plus sealing off the damper below. And that is assuming no serious issues found during inspection.

The chimney is enormous and central, making it hard to ignore. To clarify, the cavity is not 4" by 4" but more like 4 by 15. And I think that that is only on the 45 degree section of it. So the area is substantial just not wide enough to accommodate a liner. I've had fires in the fireplace and the d chimney sucks up the smoke. My question is just if I hook up a stove pipe directly to where the damper is on the top of the fireplace, would that work?

NO, but welcome to the forum.

Have you considered putting up another chimney? We have a stove that has the flue straight out the rear of the stove and through the wall. Then there is a tee and a SS chimney goes up alongside the house. Works fine. If one did not like the looks, they could build a chase around the chimney to make it acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.