Chimney... Creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JayLii

Mar 18, 2017
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site but have been loving what I've been reading so far. Lots of great stuff on hear that's getting me really excited to start burning some wood for the first time! I have ordered the Supreme Volcano Plus and am planning a DIY install on a an exterior masonry chimney. It's a one story straight up chimney (guessing less than 25') and the insert will fit in nicely to my existing fireplace.

I bought the 1966 house 2.5 years ago and actually (probably foolishly) had about 4-6 fires in the open mason fireplace. (I did sweep it prior to burning) I guess I want to make sure I'm in good shape or if you guys have any recommendations beyond the obvious of cleaning my chimney out before installing the new 6" stainless. (ps. any tips on cheapest place to buy a stainless 6" kit in Victoria BC or online? homehardware.ca seems to have the best prices I've seen so far)

Last fall I painted the exterior of my house including the chimney and have noticed some sap like substance forming on the outside and running down the chimney. Could this be creosote?

I'll try to get to posting a picture tomorrow when there's some daylight.
Cheers,
James

Please post a close-up pic if you can get it safely! It definitely could be creosote from what you are describing....

Pics will tell! I found my chimney was the cheapest at my local hardware store. Its worth looking stopping in and asking.

Here are a couple pictures!

IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1205.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like bird poop to me :)

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Yup. No issue!
Well yes it is an issue it shows that there is water getting into the structure in some way. It is either getting in from the weather rain snow ect. Usually either from a cracked crown or bad flashing. Or it is coming from condensation from a failed or mis-sized furnace flue.

Well yes it is an issue it shows that there is water getting into the structure in some way. It is either getting in from the weather rain snow ect. Usually either from a cracked crown or bad flashing. Or it is coming from condensation from a failed or mis-sized furnace flue.

Good point.