Chimney damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestone

Greetings: Here is a photo of one I installed last winter to slow down the rate of burn in the stove due to the long length of pipe. The workmanship is excellent, I suspect the letters were cut using some fancy technology.
February6download028.jpg

Laser cutting the sheet of material would not be unusual. Easy to do. I'm a tad surprised that it has any cutouts at ALL, frankly. I was initially thinking of adding one of these to MY pipe, but didn't after all. I get good enough control the way the system is designed already.

Being a welder, in one of my former iterations of life, one observation is that the person who welded it was a tad sloppy; overheat and not the neatest job in the world, but it should "work" fine.

Didn't know that "length of pipe" was a determining factor for use of one of these. Figured it was either you used one or you didn't, regardless of length.

-Soupy1957

Huh . . . maybe I don't get out much, but this is the first damper I've ever seen that wasn't a solid piece of metal . . . never seen one with "holes" cut in the damper.

Must be some sort of "bleed thru" principle?????

-Soupy1957

Greetings: I have about 28 feet of flue, total length and the first winter after installation, I had problems cutting back on the rate of burn, lots of draft. I was using much more wood than I expected. With this damper things have improved. I suspect that the holes are indeed to allow for "bleed through, so as to not let flue temp drop too far. The dampner was made by the flue pipe manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.