Chimney diameter/reuse with new fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driven

Oct 8, 2008
MI
Hi all!

I'm looking into replacing my existing heatilator NA42 (?) wood burning fireplace with a Fireplace Xtrordinaire FPX 44 wood-burner.
I see the FPX 44 requires an 8" double wall chimney, specifically, it calls for one of the following: Temco 82 - Firecraft FTF8 (Superior TF8) - FMI 8DM - Marco 8D.

Looking at my existing chimney, I see it's about 10" outer diameter and 8" inner diameter. Does that make it an 8" or 10" chimney? And is it possible to reuse the existing (7 year old) chimney with the new fireplace install?

Thanks!
Dave

I swear this isn't a trick question. lol

Is an 8" double-wall chimney section in reference to the diameter of the inner or outer pipe?

Sounds like 8" double wall. As to whether or not you can re-use it with the new appliance, that depends upon its current condition and identifying it as one of the new appliance manufacurer's approved systems. Rick

Thanks guys. I'm having someone out on Friday to give me an official quote. I'll make sure that I ask them about reuse now that I know it's at least the right size pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.