chimney drips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
I have noticed some dripping from the chimney. The substance was below chimney in the snow. Brown liquid with creosote smell. My chimney cap is clean. I also been burning clean, no Smoke from chimney. Is this from warm air mixing with the cold at the top of the chimney and cap causing condensation?

Yes, perfectly normal. I sometimes have icicles (creocicles) hanging from my cap.

Even if the wood is perfectly dry, simply burning it makes water according to the standard combustion equations. In cold weather, that water can condense and pick up traces of soot which are present, even if the flue looks clear. This gives the formation of 'creosicles', black water drops, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.