Chimney fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There was a lengthy thread about what to do in the event of runaway fires and chimney fires not too long ago and I seem recall many replies that said it was better to open the stove door and flood the system with air so that it would burn out more quickly and ultimately lower in-stove temps more quickly.
in the event of a runaway stove opening the door is the right thing to do in the event of a chimney fire it is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Reactions: Squisher
Yeah, I wonder how he's getting the chimney so gunked up with a cat stove? Wet wood, or what? Has this been with one cat stove, or many? How often do you sweep?
Same stove, I think turning the stove down too low to get a longer burn was generating excess creosote. My pre cat stoves
didn't have this problem. Since I got the soot eater I have been cleaning 1-2 months, haven't had a chimney fire since then.
No longer burning any wood stove.

2.5 gallon water can fire extinguisher with your finger over the nozzle to create a fan pattern on the burning wood will create steam and snuff a fire, also a B/C rated dry chem pointed up the flue will help extinguish.

I truly get the idea of calling the fire department. Also though, if a chimney fire is just starting it can usually be quickly knocked out and the safety issue is gone is about 60 seconds. If you make a phone call and wait (about 10 minutes, more or less) you will likely have major damage or more to your house. The first few minutes are critical to fighting a fire, they spread FAST. It does puzzle me that someone would step back and let the house burn instead of dumping an extinguisher up the chimney. If it does not work your house gets burned anyways. If it works, your house is safe. Seems like very much a no loose situation to stop the fire. I wonder how many chimney fires are never reported because the owner quickly put the fire out instead of letting it burn out of control till someone arrived with a fire hose to saturate their house.

Reactions: tarzan
Seems like very much a no loose situation to stop the fire.
Unless when you shoot the fire extinguisher into the stove it sends hot embers flying out from the pressure burning you and possibly setting a fire outside the stove. I am not against someone using a fire extinguisher at all but you should have protective clothing on and make sure no embers come out of the stove. And still call the fire dept. Just because you think you know it is out and there are no hot spots does not mean that is the case.

And yes the vast majority of chimney fires are not reported but not because they are put out it is because most of the time the homeowmner has no idea they had a fire.

And btw using water in any way is extremely dangerous and is not recommended at all. It can damage the stove the chimney or you

Reactions: firefighterjake
I've only used water once at a chimney fire and that's because the other fd that responded started with the water idea (out of district response) normally we use chimney chains, thermal camera, heavy canvas tarp and metal bucket.
Drop chains down the chimney, knock the creosote down, removing the chimney fire element, empty fire box of stove into metal bucket, protect stove area with tarp, use thermal camera and check for extension.

Reactions: bholler
1. Burn seasoned wood.
2. Inspect and clean the chimney regularly.
3. Burn the stove at the proper temps.
4. Never worry about having a chimney fire.

----

Reactions: bholler and rdust
A proper chimney should sustain a chimney fire without a house fire, no? Mine did and without power, water or phone service I'm glad it did!

I agree with calling the fire department for most folks but I've been in many situations where a fire department was not an option at all so I've learned too be prepared for all scenarios.

A proper chimney should sustain a chimney fire without a house fire, no?
Yes it should but many are not proper at all.

Reactions: tarzan
Unless when you shoot the fire extinguisher into the stove it sends hot embers flying out from the pressure burning you and possibly setting a fire outside the stove. I am not against someone using a fire extinguisher at all but you should have protective clothing on and make sure no embers come out of the stove. And still call the fire dept. Just because you think you know it is out and there are no hot spots does not mean that is the case.

And yes the vast majority of chimney fires are not reported but not because they are put out it is because most of the time the homeowmner has no idea they had a fire.

And btw using water in any way is extremely dangerous and is not recommended at all. It can damage the stove the chimney or you
Note I stated using a finger over the nozzle to create a fan pattern basically misting the burning wood which creates steam. I'm not talking stretching a 1 3/4" off the engine with a 15/16" smoothbore and cranking it wide open. If you ever used a can you would know what I was getting at. They are not large GPM devices. And as far as the dry chem spreading fire outside of the fire box with common sense controlling the door and throttling the handle on the dry chem it can be successfully done without causing a conflagration inside the residence. After the fire has been removed from the stove that's when chimney chains, etc come into play.

Note I stated using a finger over the nozzle to create a fan pattern basically misting the burning wood which creates steam. I'm not talking stretching a 1 3/4" off the engine with a 15/16" smoothbore and cranking it wide open. If you ever used a can you would know what I was getting at. They are not large GPM devices. And as far as the dry chem spreading fire outside of the fire box with common sense controlling the door and throttling the handle on the dry chem it can be successfully done without causing a conflagration inside the residence. After the fire has been removed from the stove that's when chimney chains, etc come into play.
Yes when you know what you are doing and know how to use those specific tools you can do it with either one. But how many times do you think a typical homeowner has used either of them? For most people once or twice if at all. So for someone with no experience doing it putting water in a hot stove is a bad idea. And a fire extinguisher could easily blow coals out of the stove.

And yes I know exactly what you are talking about but telling an inexperienced homeowner to use water to me is irresponsible.

With heavy water their setup is ruined. Without water it's gonna be ruined anyways after the wrecking crew comes through 8-20 min after the fact of free burning fire from the stove up to the chimney cap. Free burn chimney fire leads to fire having more time to gain control of the structure. Pick your poison.

With heavy water their setup is ruined. Without water it's gonna be ruined anyways after the wrecking crew comes through 8-20 min after the fact of free burning fire from the stove up to the chimney cap. Free burn chimney fire leads to fire having more time to gain control of the structure. Pick your poison.
Or you could use chemicals that is what all of the fire companies do here. But the original question was what should a homeowner do not what will the fire company do when they get there.

Chemical like B/C extinguisher?

Yes like I said in my second post on this thread. But there are risks with that not as bad as the risks with water but still risks. And you should still call the fire company.

Well technically ABC dry chemical extinguisher . . . BC extinguishers are not rated for Class A fuels (ordinary combustibles such as paper, plastic and wood).

As a side note, I get what you are saying about using a PW extinguisher and using it in a fine mist, but a) agree with B that many inexperienced folks will simply unload the whole kit and caboodle on the fire and ruin the stove and chimney and b) (perhaps even more importantly) most folks don't have a pressurized water extinguisher in their home (they're relatively uncommon in home use).

Reactions: bholler
This would be a great question for the firemen here. When a chimney fire is just starting, do you recommend letting it escalate and making a phone call for help or do you recommend putting it out if possible? Similar question about a grease fire on a cook stove. Do I put it out or let it burn? If I put it out I may possibly splash grease. If I make a phone call my house is likely to be destroyed before the arrival of the firemen. Also, if you recommend stopping the fire, how do you recommend a homeowner do it?

Last edited:
This would be a great question for the firemen here. When a chimney fire is just starting, do you recommend letting it escalate and making a phone call for help or do you recommend putting it out if possible? Similar question about a grease fire on a cook stove. Do I put it out or let it burn? If I put it out I may possibly splash grease. If I make a phone call my house is likely to be destroyed before the arrival of the firemen. Also, if you recommend stopping the fire, how do you recommend a homeowner do it?

First off . . . most folks prefer the term firefighter today. ;) Partly because we have sister firefighters working right alongside the brothers . . . but also because "fireman" is a bit of an outdated term.

Loaded question to be sure . . . but I can only say what I personally recommend in my classes.

The pat answer most fire experts would say is to always leave the home and call 911 from outside. This is truly the safest course of action in terms of life safety . . . but it's not always realistic to expect folks to just stand back and wait for help to arrive . . . whether it's in a town or city will full-time, career firefighters, a community with a mix of paid/volunteer firefighters, paid-call firefighters or all volunteers.

My own, personal advice for a chimney fire is to call 911 at the first indication there is a chimney fire. Get us on the way. If the fire burns itself out or the home owner is able to extinguish the fire there's nothing that says you can't call us back to advise us that the fire is out. Most FDs will still respond to be sure the fire has not extended. Plus . . . it's better to get us on the way sooner rather than later in case you cannot get the fire extinguished.

If you feel comfortable AND can do so safely my own technique for extinguishing a chimney fire personally depends on the type of install. Quite frankly, I don't see a lot of chimney fires in newer hook-ups with newer stoves (i.e. Class A, liners, etc.) Most of the chimney fires I have personally been to involve traditional concrete block or brick (sometimes lined with a clay liner, sometimes not). Since many of these have basement or first floor clean outs I will open this up and see if any hot embers have fallen to the base. I will then use a tablespoon or two or three of water and put it on the hot ember . . . allowing the water to turn to steam (steam expands) and let it be carried up to the fire with the natural draft. I will try this a few times to see if this has any effect. Plan B: Get to the roof top and toss down a baggie full of Class ABC fire extinguisher powder or use a Class ABC fire extinguisher in an effort to extinguish the fire. Sadly, if the chimney fire is due to lack of maintenance (often) usually we have to resort to using a chain and weight to break through the creosote plug . . . and at this point you really should let the FD do this since the chain will often come up cherry red and it's nothing you want to be holding on to without some really thick gloves. It may go without saying that you should close down your stove . . . some folks have recommended tossing a damp (not soaked) newspaper on the fire . . . I cannot say if this is good or bad as I have never done this.

Grease Fire: Use a lid or something like a cookie sheet to cover the pan on fire. Turn off the stove. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Do not move the pan while it is on fire to get it outside (the most common thing people do), throw water on it, suffocate it by putting a dish cloth on it, toss it outside and set your neighbor's lawn on fire, etc. An extinguisher can be used . . . if properly rated . . . but only as a last resort since doing so will ruin your meal and make one helluva mess. Again, though . . . if in doubt, we recommend folks get out. Homes can be rebuilt . . . folks, not so much.

Incidentally . . . I also try to "preach" that folks be proactive vs. reactive . . . the easiest fire to extinguish is the one you never have . . . which brings me back to my first post (i.e. burn seasoned wood, burn at the proper temp, inspect and clean the chimney) . . . then you'll never have to wonder what to do and if you should call us.

P.S. Most grease fires can be prevented by simply being in the kitchen while cooking with grease since most of these fires start when the cooking is left unattended.

From a recent Facebook post which posts up fires here in Maine . . .
---

DELAYED. 20:55 Stoneham Fire to 55 Grover Rd in Albany for a chimney fire, with possible extension.

Upon arrival, heat was detected around chimney, which was completely enclosed in sheetrock. A crackling sound could be heard through the ceiling. Went to second floor and noticed smoke coming from around a door frame.

Waterford was then toned for mutual aid.

Weapons of destruction were used to gain access to the chimney in the second floor, finding and extinguishing the flames with foam.

Overhaul was started, checking further extension, both in the attic and first floor.

Waterford was cancelled.

More ceiling sheetrock removed from the first floor, exposing the charred floor that extended 10 feet from the chimney in both directions.

Upon further investigation, it was noticed that the stove pipe fit loosely into the chimney. And that the stovepipe was inserted into cement. No thimble. The homeowner was advised to fix the problem. This was the suspected origin.

Also, the homeowner was advised to fix his smoke detectors, since none were going off during our visit. Had he been asleep during this, the outcome would be very different.

Cleared about 22:00

Reactions: tarzan and bholler
The pat answer most fire experts would say is to always leave the home and call 911 from outside. This is truly the safest course of action in terms of life safety . . . but it's not always realistic to expect folks to just stand back and wait for help to arrive . . . whether it's in a town or city will full-time, career firefighters, a community with a mix of paid/volunteer firefighters, paid-call firefighters or all volunteers.

My own, personal advice for a chimney fire is to call 911 at the first indication there is a chimney fire. Get us on the way. If the fire burns itself out or the home owner is able to extinguish the fire there's nothing that says you can't call us back to advise us that the fire is out. Most FDs will still respond to be sure the fire has not extended. Plus . . . it's better to get us on the way sooner rather than later in case you cannot get the fire extinguished.
Very well said. Thank You

Reactions: rdust
Haven't crawled the whole thread, but Jake have you ever used a Chimfex on a chimney fire?

When I was 13, I thought I'd try my hand at whipping up a batch of doughnuts. So I filled a pot with grease on the stove, and turned it on high to get hot. My attention quickly turned elsewhere, as I was 13, and I forgot about the oil on the stove, if I recall correctly, it was crisco.

Some time later, my sister from the living room asked why I was burning candles in the kitchen. Oh! the doughnuts!

I ran into the kitchen to find a flaming cauldron of hot grease lighting the kitchen cabinets on fire. Mom and Dad were not around. The liquor and crisco was stored right above the stove. Questionable judgement there.

My sister and her friend ran shreiking from the house to save themselves.

I looked at the situation, and knew right then that I would not be the one to burn down the family home without giving it my best effort.

I went into an adjoining cabinet, retrieved another pot, went to the sink, and filled it with water. The kitchen faucet sure seemed to go slow. There was a giant box of arm and hammer baking soda in the cabinet right next to the pot that I had taken to fill with water.

I then proceeded to throw the water onto the grease fire. Hey, what did I know, I was 13.

Would you believe it doused that grease fire right out!

Shortly thereafter, the local fire department showed up. They brought their big fans in to clear the black smoke out of the house.

The house would have burned down if I had waited for help to put the fire out.

I learned later that water won't put out grease fires.

I got to go to work with Dad for the rest of that summer.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CanFireman
Firefighting person Jake, good explanation and thank you. I am just always puzzled by the step back and watch the house burn philosophy. I agree a homeowner fighting a raging fire is likely a bad idea, but many chimney fires can be quickly stopped if you get to them very fast. If you can't stop it, then get out and await help seems like such a better approach.