Chimney Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<<. He never let a fire burn down and smolder. Always a rager. We called his fires "barn-burners".>>

Heh, heh! So.... no concern about overfiring either?

I'm imagining one of those steel plants with the fountains of smoke and spark coming out everywhere!

So how did that leave your mom and you and your siblings feeling about that? I could imagine soime deep seated anxieties about having a barn burner raging all the time!

In many households, I could imagine the wife throwing water on such behavior, not infrequently for good reason. (Isn't that one of the purposes of getting married?).

Reactions: bholler
Ahhh... you researched the subject and satisfied yourself as to the facts. I would like to do the same thing.

It appears that the facts about different stoves are, in fact, probably known through testing agencies and such. They just keep that information confidential and away from consumers. Personally, I don't find that satisfactory.

It certainly isn't your responsibility to answer such inquiries, it's the responsibility of the manufacturers and the dealers who sell the equipment.

I may wind up going in to a stove shop or two and asking these questions of the sales reps, and see what they have to say.

I've appreciated your considerable efforts to answer my questions on several different threads, bholler. That's been very helpful.

Thank you!
I smell a troll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elle
<<. He never let a fire burn down and smolder. Always a rager. We called his fires "barn-burners".>>

Heh, heh! So.... no concern about overfiring either?

I'm imagining one of those steel plants with the fountains of smoke and spark coming out everywhere!

So how did that leave your mom and you and your siblings feeling about that? I could imagine soime deep seated anxieties about having a barn burner raging all the time!

In many households, I could imagine the wife throwing water on such behavior, not infrequently for good reason. (Isn't that one of the purposes of getting married?).

It did get too hot to sit in there quite often. That's all in the past. But it is true that the two chimneys were never cleaned and there is nothing more than a little soot here and there to this day. They arent used as open fireplaces any longer. Matter of fact havent been used for 5 or 6 years now at all.
We also stood behind the front seat in the car when we went anywhere. No seatbelts. Never wore a helmet to ride a bike. Would have gotten beat up by other kids if you did a dorky thing like that. Gone are the days. You reminisce about how people lived life and didnt fret and worry about every little thing and people lose their minds to hear it. Nowadays I worry about safety a lot.....and it's killing me! :rolleyes:

… We also stood behind the front seat in the car when we went anywhere. No seatbelts. Never wore a helmet to ride a bike .

Just saw the list of 10 worst Christmas toys. Pretty safe compared to us as kids. We played Jarts (lawn darts). Let's stand 40 feet apart with a ring on the ground and lob giant metal-tipped darts at each other! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_darts

We had lawn darts too. One time when nobody was looking, I went in the pool right after I ate. They always seemed to worry about that issue.

It did get too hot to sit in there quite often. That's all in the past. But it is true that the two chimneys were never cleaned and there is nothing more than a little soot here and there to this day. They arent used as open fireplaces any longer. Matter of fact havent been used for 5 or 6 years now at all.
We also stood behind the front seat in the car when we went anywhere. No seatbelts. Never wore a helmet to ride a bike. Would have gotten beat up by other kids if you did a dorky thing like that. Gone are the days. You reminisce about how people lived life and didnt fret and worry about every little thing and people lose their minds to hear it. Nowadays I worry about safety a lot.....and it's killing me! :rolleyes:
People also died in car accidents that now you wouldt have a scratch from. And the lack of a helmet may explain a few things.

Reactions: blacktail
People also died in car accidents that now you wouldt have a scratch from. And the lack of a helmet may explain a few things.

Thanks for stopping by, Debbie.

It appears that the facts about different stoves are, in fact, probably known through testing agencies and such. They just keep that information confidential and away from consumers. Personally, I don't find that satisfactory.

You seem like a very detailed kind of guy. Not saying that’s bad but it seems to me you are spending a lot of time to track down information that has been provided. Why ? Have you had issues with your stove ? Bholler has given you good information. I trust his opinions since he works in the field. If your not having any issues when burning and are using the temperatures he has provided I wouldn’t worry too much.

That said if you really want more info, and feel that the manufacturers have not provided you this info, you can keep looking. How much spare time do you have ?

Hint.....if there was ever lawsuits in the past against wood stove companies then there is a record. That means if things like manufacturer tested burning temperatures and other specifications that you feel are being withheld from you were part of a filed law suit and they were part of discovery and used to settle that law suit, you can bet it was disclosed. And that should be public record.

Do you really have that much free time ? You would need to find a law office that will let you use their law software to research this stuff. Or go to a law school, and use their law library. You might and I mean MIGHT find something of value that originated from a manufacture testing something. But it’s a needle in a haystack. Again do you have that much need to spend that much time researching stuff ? Is it for a project or school or something ?

I’m assuming you sent letters to the stove manufacturers asking for what it is your looking for ? Because that will be a lot easier. Can’t say they will send you anything they might toss your letter in the trash who knows, but hey if you really want to know then I guess it’s a start.

For me I’m pretty satisfied with info I get here from the pros and experienced wood burners. Think about it we have a couple sweeps on the site that respond to questions, we have a firefighter on the site who posts regularly, we have tree service people on the site, I think we even have stove companies on the site. Lots of good info here.

Reactions: blacktail
Self cleaning ovens burn house down. Id never own one.

Thanks for stopping by, Debbie.

So pointing out that the good old days or ignoring safety lead to deaths is being a downer? I thought it was being realistic and pretty positive about the fact that we have substantially improved safety.

Self cleaning ovens burn house down. Id never own one.
I am sure that has happened. But not as many times as failing to clean your chimney. Or cleaning it by burning it out have.

Status
Not open for further replies.