Chimney for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gguy

May 27, 2018
new jersey
Hi everyone. I have a quick question about venting my soon to be new pellet stove. I tore out my prefab fireplace last week and am buying a harman accentra insert. The old chimney came right out but there's still a 8" lining running up to the top of my roof. i plan on running 4" vent pipe right through this. I assume I have to have a seal of some sort at the bottom and maybe top of this 8" liner. My question is what would I use to seal this?

Is that a liner that went up the inside of a masonry chimney ?

No it’s a fake wooden chimney on the side of my house. Framed out with 2x4s. The main chimney for the prefab fire place was a 6 in double wall that came out when I removed the fire place. Then there’s a 11 in thin metal sleeve going up to the roof

Then it just a chase OK
Block off both ends and seal
Run the smoke pipe straight out
Save a bundle of money on pipe
If you can

And if you don't want to do it the easy way as johneh mentioned, how far of a run is it to the top. It matters as anything over 15 feet you may have to go to 4" which is much more money.

Thanks guys. I was initially gonna go through the wall but there a giant bush type tree on the other side my wife loves. So I wouldent have clearances for the chimney. It’s only a 15’run up the chimney. I will block off both the top and bottoms and probably run 4”. Now my problem is trying to connect straight pipe to the Harman Accentra 52i. Everyone seems to use flex which I can’t use.

ok complete change of plans. Screw the bush its coming down. I want to now run the chimney through the wall like johneh mentioned. Much cheaper and easier. Now heres another issue. I have a harmon insert that im installing flush against the wall. the double wall pipe will technical be in a enclosed space in the chase correct? It will be coming up and out of a zero Clarence box before making a 90 and straight out the wall. not that i have permits or anything but when the day the comes that we need to sell the house I would like it to pass a inspection.

ok complete change of plans. Screw the bush its coming down. I want to now run the chimney through the wall like johneh mentioned. Much cheaper and easier. Now heres another issue. I have a harmon insert that im installing flush against the wall. the double wall pipe will technical be in a enclosed space in the chase correct? It will be coming up and out of a zero Clarence box before making a 90 and straight out the wall. not that i have permits or anything but when the day the comes that we need to sell the house I would like it to pass a inspection.

Better check that manual about that one. I would be more concerned that if something happened and a fire started that the insurance company is not going to deny your claim because it was not install to code and a permit was pulled and install was inspected. Better safe than sorry.