Chimney has hole in it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emery

Dec 12, 2016
Toledo
I recently had my chimney cleaned and was informed I have a hole in the side of the chimney. I checked and found the exhaust is from my kitchen stove. It is vented into the chimney.. I have lived in the house for 35 years and have fires often in the winter, I have had several chimney sweeps clean over the years and know one ever mentioned this vent...I believe the exhaust vent was put in when the house was built. By the way, the chimney sweep said the chimney otherwise looks good...Is this a real concern? What are my options?

It's good that your sweep alerted you. This may have been ok when the house was constructed, but is no longer permitted. Given its age, does the fireplace chimney have a clay tile liner in it? Is the kitchen stove a wood stove?

It's good that your sweep alerted you. This may have been ok when the house was constructed, but is no longer permitted. Given its age, does the fireplace chimney have a clay tile liner in it? Is the kitchen stove a wood stove?
Yes, it has a clay liner and the kitchen stove is electric...If I chose to go with a stainless steel liner, how does it attach to my damper?

Yes, it has a clay liner and the kitchen stove is electric wit a microwave above it..If I choose to go with a stainless steel liner, how does it attach to the damper???

Emery

Yes, it has a clay liner and the kitchen stove is electric...If I chose to go with a stainless steel liner, how does it attach to my damper?
So the electric stove's exhaust fan ties into the chimney? If so, someone took a poor shortcut. That exhaust duct needs to be rerouted and the hole properly sealed up. No need to reline the chimney if it's in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.