Chimney install liner/etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rydaddy

Sep 13, 2007
Trying to pull the switch on adding a 2nd stove (basement - I know not everyone likes this idea but bare with me). Regardless of the stove, I am struggling with some options for the chimney.

Specific question. I have 2 flues through the middle of the house. Clay linermajigees surrounded in CMU block from basement floor up through the roof. One currently occupies the 25' SS liner for the Heritage. The other goes to the basement and just has the exhaust for the H20 heater. If this "flue" is big enough can I also run the liner for this additional stove in the same flue? One reads all over the place that these things can't "share" flues. But can they do it if they are both in liners?

Obviously the Company I prefer to work with wants me to dump the H20 Heater and buy a new one that is direct vent to solve this issue. But that is more money out the door. I would rather put that money into the stove. Also, the dealer I want to work with doesn't currently sell some of the stoves I am really considering.

Gracias!

This is the 2nd time this came up today. I have no desire/ability/need to do it myself, but in retrospect I think I have recommended it to someone before! SO my answer is that I think it can be done if you have enough room to do it right. Cramming 2 liners into the hole is probably NOT doing it right. My understanding is you need spacing between the flue liners and it's probably best if you can use something better than just a plain liner, but I would like to do more digging on that.

One interesting site I found: http://inspect-ny.com/chimneys/Shared_Chimney_Flues_OK.htm

It gives examples of where it CAN be ok to share a flue.

Note: I am not an expert, nor an inspector. And I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.