chimney installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Sep 27, 2007
The North Country, NY
I need to install 8" triple wall stainless from the basement through two floors. the most ideal location for the chimney on the interior of the house puts the chimney almost exactly at the peak of the roof. is this possible or do I need to find another location.

Its possible, but you might need to get a custom roof flashing fabricated for the peak. We have done this before. Just make sure there is no load supporting framing in the way up there by the peak.

I thought about running an offset, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to find offsets that will match up with the chimney that I already have. I bought the chimney 2nd hand for a steal and there really is no attic at that location my celings are vaulted. My gas boiler chimney is also insulated stainless and it ties into an existing stone chimney for the last 3 - 4 feet. I know you are not allowed to share chimneys with two different heaters, but would there be a problem hooking both chimneys to the stone chimney for the last. both chimneys would run straight for approx 27 -30 feet then tie in to the outside stone chimney. Again (thinking out loud) I would need to find offsets that would fit my chimney. Thanks for the help I just fishing for ideas that I have not come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.