Chimney kit install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC_Double

Feb 13, 2008
SW Ohio
Finishing up my thru the wall kit install. I have a few questions before I go any further......

1. I have installed the thimble, question I have is.... Should the tee be right up against the inside portion of the thimble?

2. Should the tee be sealed (cualked) to the outside of the thimble?

3. Do I need to use stovepipe screw for the stovepipe or can I use any screw?

Sorry for the stupid question, but the instructions that came with this duravent system are not the clearest for thru the wall.

TAC_Double said:
1. Should the tee be right up against the inside portion of the thimble?
That would be okay as long as your chimney is 2"+ away from your outside wall.

Yep, I have a 2 1/2in air gap from the siding to the vertical section of the tee. I just wanted to make sure I understand the instructions correctly that the tee should be snug with the inside portion of the thimble. Don't see any other way it could work for mating the stove pipe too it... but wanted to double check.

How far does the class A pipe coming thru the thimble extend beyond the inside wall? Metalbestos says a min of 4.5 ". It may be different with Duravent but I doubt it.

DuraTech, another Simpson product, says 6" min. into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.