Chimney Liner Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starr-Point

Hearth Supporter
Jan 24, 2006
I finally got one of my chimneys cleaned and lit that old antique coal stove - it is sweet!

Question is about the second chimney on the other side of the house. It is connected to a fireplace that's never been used since 1897. The chimney was lined in the 1980s when the previous owner had a woodstove in teh basement (now gone).

Think it's feasible to try to tap into that liner from the unused fireplace? Or am I going to have to pull that liner and start over for a small wood or coal stove?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Did you have the sweep clean it and or look at it? That would be my first step. No one here can look at it.

Starr-Point said:
I finally got one of my chimneys cleaned and lit that old antique coal stove - it is sweet!

Question is about the second chimney on the other side of the house. It is connected to a fireplace that's never been used since 1897. The chimney was lined in the 1980s when the previous owner had a woodstove in teh basement (now gone).

Think it's feasible to try to tap into that liner from the unused fireplace? Or am I going to have to pull that liner and start over for a small wood or coal stove?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Might just be possible, but as mentioned will require an inspection. Chimney lining was not really a popular tthing until at least the mid-80's, so I hope it's not jerry-rigged.

Also, 20+ years is a long time for that ss pipe to be in the chimney, so it must be carefully checked for corrosion. Elk just had a death result from a bad liner (they used stove pipe, not stainless....ask him).....

But, yes, assuming that it is a good solid liner and the same chimney, it just might be possible to hijack it on the first floor and tie into a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.