Chimney Liner Instal Trouble - Rope Detached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coryhello

Jan 13, 2022
Milwaukee
I am installing a new 5.5” stainless steel flue liner inside an old 8” stainless steel flue liner, to accommodate an update wood burning insert. The length of liner is about 18.5 feet from stove connection to clay tile top. I followed the instructions provided by the manufacturer, which were to tie a knot in a piece of rope, and then tightly duct tape it with 5 wraps around, allowing me to pull from the bottom while pushing from the top.

My house has a Cape Cod like structure, so the chimney is not accessible by the roof, making the installation tricky with limited access. The chimney is straight for the most part, however the old stainless steel liner seems to have ovalized near the bottom before it connects to a circle to oval adapter (very odd) and the vermiculite insulation may have settled in such a way causing a few slight bends.

My partner and I were able to pull the new stainless steel liner down to about 2 feet from our reach when the rope detached from the duct tape (which is about 4 feet from stove connection.) it’s stuck! Pushing, and twisting from the top is not resulting in any movement from the bottom.

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

I am hoping I do not have to remove the liner as the twists and turns make it quite difficult to move, and because it’s only two feet from my hands. Are there any suggestions on how I might be able to attach something to bottom, allowing me to pull?

Any help or recommended action is very much appreciated. I sure have got my fingers crossed!

85DD754C-42CA-4153-815D-D7F92A24098D.jpeg 93B41F1E-7AA7-4A63-B3E3-298AD8C3857C.jpeg

I am installing a new 5.5” stainless steel flue liner inside an old 8” stainless steel flue liner, to accommodate an update wood burning insert. The length of liner is about 18.5 feet from stove connection to clay tile top. I followed the instructions provided by the manufacturer, which were to tie a knot in a piece of rope, and then tightly duct tape it with 5 wraps around, allowing me to pull from the bottom while pushing from the top.

My house has a Cape Cod like structure, so the chimney is not accessible by the roof, making the installation tricky with limited access. The chimney is straight for the most part, however the old stainless steel liner seems to have ovalized near the bottom before it connects to a circle to oval adapter (very odd) and the vermiculite insulation may have settled in such a way causing a few slight bends.

My partner and I were able to pull the new stainless steel liner down to about 2 feet from our reach when the rope detached from the duct tape (which is about 4 feet from stove connection.) it’s stuck! Pushing, and twisting from the top is not resulting in any movement from the bottom.

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

I am hoping I do not have to remove the liner as the twists and turns make it quite difficult to move, and because it’s only two feet from my hands. Are there any suggestions on how I might be able to attach something to bottom, allowing me to pull?

Any help or recommended action is very much appreciated. I sure have got my fingers crossed!

View attachment 289777 View attachment 289778
Yeah that sucks. It's going to need to be pulled out. You may need to use a hoist to get it to move. Is it just a light wall liner?

Yeah that sucks. It's going to need to be pulled out. You may need to use a hoist to get it to move. Is it just a light wall liner?
Yeah, it’s a flex liner, manufactured by New England Chimney Company. If I were to buy a hoist, how might you recommend I hook it up?

Would you say the liner is salvageable?

And when attempting to reinstall, any advice on getting it down to avoid this same situation?

Really appreciate your advice! Thank you!

When I installed my liner, we had a slight bend in the chimney. We were stuck there for a while, but once we rotated the liner 180 degrees it popped the rest of the way through. I know it looks like your chimney is a straight shot, but you are probably caught on a protruding flue tile or something. If I were you, I would try rotating it some from the top before pulling it back out.

Also, I had a similar setup regarding roof (although mine was not as steep as yours...) I used my eight foot ladder to get onto the roof, and the set my extension ladder on the roof leaning up against the chimney. I then ratchet-strapped the extension ladder to the chimney at the top so it wouldn't go anywhere.

Good luck!

Yeah, it’s a flex liner, manufactured by New England Chimney Company. If I were to buy a hoist, how might you recommend I hook it up?

Would you say the liner is salvageable?

And when attempting to reinstall, any advice on getting it down to avoid this same situation?

Really appreciate your advice! Thank you!
But is it lightwall midweight or heavy wall. Whether it is salvageable or not will depend how much force it takes to get it out and what type of liner it is. Tips to avoid it in the future are pull out the 8" or figure out how to cut out the ovalized section.

But is it lightwall midweight or heavy wall. Whether it is salvageable or not will depend how much force it takes to get it out and what type of liner it is. Tips to avoid it in the future are pull out the 8" or figure out how to cut out the ovalized section.
I’m not sure if it’s lightwall or heavy wall. The website description says the steel is grade 316L, and I have a single ply liner.

I’m not sure if it’s lightwall or heavy wall. The website description says the steel is grade 316L, and I have a single ply liner.
That is probably light wall. It may get damaged

As a last resort try to install metal pipe from the bottom maybe in small sections if need be....and push in on side(s)..if you damage bottom you can cut and hopefully you have enough material.

My old house we had to flatten the chimney pipe a little.

Update: successfully pulled it out, luckily damage free! We tied and taped the rope to the liner at the lowest point (at the top,) raised the ladder so the top rung could serve as a pulley, guided the rope over, and pulled it out foot by foot. Had to reposition a few times, but so glad it’s out.

Thank you for all the responses!

Update: successfully pulled it out, luckily damage free! We tied and taped the rope to the liner at the lowest point (at the top,) raised the ladder so the top rung could serve as a pulley, guided the rope over, and pulled it out foot by foot. Had to reposition a few times, but so glad it’s out.

Thank you for all the responses!
GREAT !

Glad it worked out for you. My last home had a similar chimney to yours. I hated getting up there. I'd climb on the roof, pull the ladder up and then climb to the chimney. Being 5' above a 2 story house was not my cup of tea for sure.