chimney liner install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ySmokincoals

Sep 22, 2015
center point,ia
Hello forum, so I am finally installing my liner and have a question about the T where it comes through the chimney into the house to the stove. The hole is quite large compared to the 6 inch pipe. The previous was a 8 with a 7 adapter. Do I mortar the single wall pipe there. The metal plate covers it, just seems like I need to do something there. Thanks. I just laid the pipe in there so you can get an idea of the size. 20171021_170855.jpg20171021_170916.jpg

Is there woodwork or wall studs touching the chimney on the right side? It's hard to tell from the picture. If yes, there will need to be an insulated thimble put in place there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought Jan. I thought about that, and that the pipe might need to be able to expand and contract. there is some damaged mortar in the hole maybe I can smooth things up in there then insulate. Less stress on the mortar and bricks.

Thanks BG that looks deceiving in that pic. The wood is 24 inches away. The ceiling however is right at 18 if I put the pipe on the bottom of the hole. but my plate still hides it.

Attachments

• 20170302_103131.jpg
    20170302_103131.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 85
Great. I thought it might be a trick of the camera. Try to minimize the gap to reduce air leakage. If you use insulation to fill the remaining gap, kaowool is good though some folks use stove door gasket depending on the gap size.

As the pipe sits in the pic there is a 2 inch gap. Should I worry about the 18 to the ceiling? Kaowool, I will have to google that. So its a no on the mortar correct.

As the pipe sits in the pic there is a 2 inch gap. Should I worry about the 18 to the ceiling? Kaowool, I will have to google that. So its a no on the mortar correct.
Not regular mortar no we use a product designed for parging smoke chambers in that area it is more flexible and holds up ok. Mortar will probably crack. But insulation packed in will work fine. You can just use any left over from insulating the liner.

2" gap meaning 1" on each side of the pipe, correct?

18" meets the required clearance to the ceiling. If you find the ceiling above the the pipe getting too hot for your personal comfort it could be shielded or the stove pipe could be replaced with double-wall stove pipe.