Chimney liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpmcswain

Nov 2, 2020
Western NC
I have a wooden chimney cavity with an 8 inch metal pipe going up through the top. I think it's double walled, but I would have to climb up on the roof again to be sure. I have been venting a stand alone wood stove up that pipe for 6 or so years without incident. What I have now is a 6 inch oval exhaust on the stove. I used the cheap black pipe from Home Depot, a 90 degree adapter and a 6 to 8 inch adapter. I want to correct some of this shoddy work by adding a 6 inch liner to my chimney and a tee with a clean out behind the stove. I see $700 liners and I see liners for $300 or less. Being that it's going to be installed inside an 8 inch pipe that has been used for years, can I get by with a cheap liner?

Also, does the tee basically clamp on to the bottom of the liner and simply hang there or does it require some kind of support?

Any advice is much appreciated

The first thing to do is to determine if this is class A chimney pipe, and second if it is in good working condition. If it is class A and in good shape then all that needs to be corrected is the connector to the chimney, assuming there are no other issues like clearances, etc.

What stove is this? Can you post a picture or two of the current installation?

The first thing to do is to determine if this is class A chimney pipe, and second if it is in good working condition. If it is class A and in good shape then all that needs to be corrected is the connector to the chimney, assuming there are no other issues like clearances, etc.

What stove is this? Can you post a picture or two of the current installation?

My house is a very small house so I normally break this down during the summer to free up precious floor space. This year I decided that I wasn't going to set it back up like before. I wanted to be more confident that it was done right. Or at least closer to right! The pic looking up the chimney probably isn't very useful. How would I determine if the chimney is class A or not? The black pipe has been out by the trash cans for a while so it's pretty rusty, but hopefully you get the idea about what was going on. Previously I had the hearth extended out using a piece of sheet metal and some stone pavers. Clearly none of this is proper or possibly even safe which is why I'm here asking for help! My plan at the moment was to add the liner to the 8" chimney as well as a tee with a clean out. And then figure out a better way to extend the hearth out a little further. I read somewhere that this stove was a Taiwanese knock off of a Jotul. It has a very small crack on one side. You can barely see some light coming through when there's a fire going. I went an drooled over a Vermont Castings Intrepid today. Sadly I'm on more of a shoe string budget. Just trying to be safe about it

20201202_235153.jpg 20201202_235145.jpg 20201202_235200.jpg 20201202_235227.jpg 20201202_235406.jpg

This looks like a prefab, zero-clearance fireplace. The odds are strong that the chimney is not woodstove temp rated class A HT. To put a 6" stainless liner in the damper would need to be removed.

Do you think I need a $700 liner or would one of the cheaper single walled ones work?
Can't say with just a price. If the $700 liner is a 2ply smoothwall then pass on it. A medium duty singlewall liner is a better product. Moving this to the classics forum for the old Scandia.