Chimney liner through pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
Can I run 6" flexible liner through my 8" double walled insullated pipe? I bumped into the pipe the other day and I wasn't happy in the way it was put together....it was pipe that had been removed and reinstalled and I think some of the grooves the pipe locks together in got bent and didn't fit back together the way they properly should. I would like to stiffen up this pipe and then run a 6" flexible liner down the inside ... is this proper and safe? What are your thoughts on this strategy?

Can I run 6" flexible liner through my 8" double walled insullated pipe? I bumped into the pipe the other day and I wasn't happy in the way it was put together....it was pipe that had been removed and reinstalled and I think some of the grooves the pipe locks together in got bent and didn't fit back together the way they properly should. I would like to stiffen up this pipe and then run a 6" flexible liner down the inside ... is this proper and safe? What are your thoughts on this strategy?
Yes it can be done but not if that existing chimney is compromised at all

Thank you. So basically it looks like my choices are $400 for a chimney liner kit or $700 to just redo the whole thing. I can walk into Lowes tomorrow and get all the pipe to redo it .... and have to order the liner kit from Amazon.com.

If it was you what would you do?

I would replace the whole thing with a good quality class a system and be done with it.

Yeah. You don't need the thing falling off the side of the house in mid burn. And wrecking your $400 liner and then having to do it right then.

But it sounds like you are saying you would replace the 8" with 8" and then line it?

Why not just replace the 8" chimney with 6" and no liner needed.?

Status
Not open for further replies.