Chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scottcord

Feb 13, 2019
Washington
Hi I am new to this and to wood-burning fireplaces we have a old “Country” fireplace insert that vents into a single layer brick chimney with no liner not even the clay tiles in an old house with plaster walls the problem is last night we had a small fire and the creosote on top of the smoke shelf in the chimney was smoldering and made the walls too hot to touch i’m trying to install a chimney liner but I can’t find it anywhere locally that has 8 inch flex so I went to my local hardware store and bought four 36 inch 8 inch double wall stainless stove pipe pieces hoping to stuff them down the chimney and connect them at the bottom with single wall black steel stove pipe I know I have to cut out the damper and remove some bricks in the fireplace and it will still not be easy to connect the hard pipe my question is does anybody have any experience doing this Am I doing the right thing or did I just waste $1100 on material

Hi I am new to this and to wood-burning fireplaces we have a old “Country” fireplace insert that vents into a single layer brick chimney with no liner not even the clay tiles in an old house with plaster walls the problem is last night we had a small fire and the creosote on top of the smoke shelf in the chimney was smoldering and made the walls too hot to touch i’m trying to install a chimney liner but I can’t find it anywhere locally that has 8 inch flex so I went to my local hardware store and bought four 36 inch 8 inch double wall stainless stove pipe pieces hoping to stuff them down the chimney and connect them at the bottom with single wall black steel stove pipe I know I have to cut out the damper and remove some bricks in the fireplace and it will still not be easy to connect the hard pipe my question is does anybody have any experience doing this Am I doing the right thing or did I just waste $1100 on material
I am sure @bholler will give an advice and guide you on what needs to be done.

You couldn't find 8 inch flex liner?,. What you have may work but I'd wait for Bhollers opinion.

Wow - $1100. For just a few hundred more you can a nice new Drolet 1800i high efficiency insert with a complete stainless steel liner kit at Costco.

And get that chimney cleaned.

Yeah take that stuff and order a flex liner with an insulation kit after you have it completely cleaned.

Reactions: MAD MARK
Wow - $1100. For just a few hundred more you can a nice new Drolet 1800i high efficiency insert with a complete stainless steel liner kit at Costco.

And get that chimney cleaned.

I just looked up that deal and its not half bad.

Yes you just wasted our money. I see potential problems using the hardware materials, you need to make sure the joints are tight and secure when you drop them down the chimney. Also the 8" might be too large depending on your insert, or if you change from this insert/device to a more efficient one.

Order the insulated flex liner, another week or 10 days wont kill you but an improper installation might.

I just looked up that deal and its not half bad.

Definitely a good price when you consider the stainless steel liner is 25 ft. It does not come insulated and it seems most chimney require it. So most likely add another $200+ for insulation kit.

Hope you kept your receipt. And you haven't done anything with the materials yet. And they will take it back & refund.