Chimney needs replacement rain cap with 12" long attachment sleeve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidD

May 1, 2016
Beaumont, Texas USA
Hello Hearthers!

First time poster here with a question about rain caps.

Here's a synopsis of my chimney:

Appliance: fireplace only
Fuel: wood log only
Height: 22 feet
Construction: 6' x 2' wood chase with veneer "brick" mortared to exterior
Flue: Round, 9" ID x 14" OD with some kind of insulating material between the tubes.
Manufacturer: I don't know the manufacturer of either the fireplace or the flue.

The existing rain cap blew off in a storm and suffered greatly in the fall. Going up to look at the problem, the existing flat chimney chase cover is galvanized sheet, and is getting ready to hole in several places. Time to replace both the chase cover and the rain cap with stainless steel.

The existing rain cap has a wind screen that is supposed to sit flat on top of the chase cover. The cap attaches with a sleeve that clamps around the 14" OD outside of the flue. When it's installed on the chase cover, the sleeve extends down about 12" into the chase. The flue ends about 8" below the chase. The remaining 4" of sleeve has a screw clamp that clamps the rain cap to the OD of the flue.

I've been rummaging around the Internet and haven't found a stock rain cap with such a long sleeve. I have found places that will make whatever I want out of sheet metal, but I know so little about chimneys that I want to ask some knowledgeable people before I assume I need a custom built fix.

So I'd like your recommendation on how to replace the chimney cap, please.

Also, there is no damper on the chimney. There is only the folding glass doors in front of the fireplace sealing off the chimney from the house. I would like to put a damper on the chimney; I'd appreciate your recommendation on the best way to do this also.

Thank you very much for the help!
Dave

You will need to know the make and model of fireplace. There is a very good chance that the company is out of business. It might be hard to find a replacement cap.
There should be an ID tag in the fireplace somewhere.

A 9" interior pipe with a 14" OD pipe, sounds like an Air Cooled pipe, and as webby3650 mention there is a very good chance that the MFG has gone out of business. I know that there are generic Air Cooled caps on the market, WeatherShield makes one and it has a 16" exterior so it will cover up past the 14" outer pipe to keep water and debris out.
The caps now days will look nothing like what you have now, so be prepared for a different look and maybe a little engineering to get what you need. Maybe adding a section of 9" diameter pipe, 12" in length to make the connection. Others may have information on whether taking another rain cap and adapting it to another mfg's pipe can be done - legally

Look inside the door frame for a model tag.

If you pull the chase cover off you will likely find that there are still identification tags on the pipe.
Is it a square cap?

Have you had the entire system inspected? At 30+ years it is way past its expected life span and should be thoroughly inspected for any deterioration.

Status
Not open for further replies.