chimney options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesin

Dec 29, 2011
Pa
Sorry about all of the chimney posts.

I have a brick chimney ( 17.5' in high) with one clay liner (6.5" X 11 ID").
There is a natural gas hot water heater plumbed via 3" vent pipe to the 6.5" X11" clay liner. From posts here and other research the clay liner is too large for this application. Further investigation found the 5' horizontal run from the hot water heater to the chimney has less than 1" elevation per horizontal foot.
So, I need to address this vent pipe first. I really don't want to invest in a power vent hot water heater. And an electric hot water heater would require me to upgrade the electric service panel.
What are your thoughts about running the 3" vent pipe though the wall (next to where the furnace exhausts), then straight up the outside brick above the roof line. This option would free up the chimney to accept a 6" liner for our future wood burner. Problem is the 3" pipe would be exposed to the weather and not real appealing to look at. From what i see around here most of these pipes are either run inside a chimney or come up through the roof. running this vent inside and through the roof is not an option.

The other option is repairing the 3" vent by changing the rise to instructions (1" of rise per vertical foot). keeping it vented through the chimney and installing a free standing through the wall stainless steel chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.