Chimney Question...Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dac

Feb 1, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hi all,
New here, but I've looked for old questions about my issue...couldn't find them. Many discuss chimney liners etc. but...

My question is can anyone direct me to the building code reference that addresses needing a liner in an existing chimney for a pellet furnace.

I'm buying a Fahrenheit Pellet Furnace. I have an existing chimney with a terracotta flue that is 8x8 od. I installed this when I built the house a few years ago. There is nothing on the flue. It runs straight to the basement where the furnace is going. The manufacturer said they do not require a lining for their appliance.

Do I need a liner by building code? I've read about condensate etc... I don't like the liner idea because of, yes $$, but more so lifetime. The existing flue is less susceptible to moisture then a metal liner. The flue is new and in great shape...no problems. Why put a liner if the furnace produces enough exhaust heat to provide good draft? I have the same type of flue servicing a masonry fireplace...no problems. Not the same flue.
I can see a liner for old chimneys or those in need of repair, but mine is new...

So..just wondering...aside from manufacturers requirement, does building code require a liner? If so why?

Thanks

PS Sorry if this is a repeat..I saw alot of references similar, but none that discussed if needed by code. I know code is a local enforcement, but I'm referring to the national building code.....

Read your manual the venting section should tell you if a 8 x 8 flue is acceptable.

Normally above 6" in diameter or so many square inches of cross section you have to insert a liner to decrease the flues cross section. Off the top of my mostly empty head I'd say you'll need a liner but you can read the manual as well as I can.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Hi all,

Do I need a liner by building code?

Probably best to just call or go ask your local code official because if you plan on having it inspected, for insurance reasons, the code officer will be making the decision on wether he requires a liner or not. Most will look at your manual, as Smokey has stated, to see what is recommended. Some areas have additional code requirements that you will not find in your manual though.

I'd just ask and see what they say. Shouldn't cost you anything to find this out.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I wouldn't be as much concerned with code but more concerned with draft. Most pellet stoves are either 3 or 4 inch diameter for a reason. Not saying it won't work without a vent pipe at least partially up the flue but you'll be more susceptible to downdraft and poor performance if you don't use enough vent pipe. The way I looked at it was, I just spent over 4K for a stove so wouldn't I want it to perform at its peak level?

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
I have my Quad vented into a 12x16 tiled chimney with no Performace issues at all. It is a 3" pipe and terminates just above the floor of the chimney. The chimney is 12-15' tall. No problems or issues at all. All setups are somewhat different so use at your own risk. Keep in mind it is a pressurized pipe exiting the pellet stove so that will help draft if needed.

I feel a lot depends on each situation and how the air/wind passes the chimney and how the draw is created. I'm also not sure draw is even needed with a chimney as large as I have. Probably is though.

Thanks all,
Yes, I was looking for some code reference to look up.. My fear w/ asking too many questions is the answer... Pull permit etc... Liner would already be pushing $1000...

Status
Not open for further replies.