Chimney Size Too Small For 6" Insulated Flex Liner Help Me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I went backup on the roof and rechecked my measurements. Inside diam. of clay liner is 6-3/4".
I found a liner company out of Michigan that sells square liners. They offer a 5.5" square outside diam. liner. This would fit and with there 1/2" insulation would give me 1/4" to play with.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 138
I went backup on the roof and rechecked my measurements. Inside diam. of clay liner is 6-3/4".
I found a liner company out of Michigan that sells square liners. They offer a 5.5" square outside diam. liner. This would fit and with there 1/2" insulation would give me 1/4" to play with.
By the time you wrap it and put the mesh on you will be really close to if not over that 6.75" any slight misalignment of tiles and you will not have a chance.

Get one lenght and give it a test run and see if it fits all the was down.

Thanks for the idea! I'm going to make a plug the same diam. weighted and lower it down.
I also realized that even with the square liner 1/4" insulation is all I can use due to size restrictions.
Thank you all for all your input!! Mike
That wont be enough to bring the chimney up to code unless it has that clearance. Why are you so dead set against remiving the clay?

You also havent answered the clearance to combustibles question. Imo I would just get the clay out and put in an insulated 6" liner. You have next to no room to work with inside that clay.

Reactions: bholler
That wont be enough to bring the chimney up to code unless it has that clearance. Why are you so dead set against remiving the clay?
This chimney has no cleanout. No way to get the broken clay out. By the time I have the clay liner and a cleanout added I would have way too much money spent. Could not recoup the cost including the stove and liner. But thanks for your options.

As i said you dont need a cleanout you can take it out the crock.

Do you have the required clearances?

Wondering how the heck you remove the clay tiles from a masonry chimney

Wondering how the heck you remove the clay tiles from a masonry chimney

Slowly lower a clay whacker down & smash them up. Clay breaks pretty easy. Then remove the pieces.

(^ Highly technical tool terminology :) )

and I just said pardon me, I didnt see your earlier post.