• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Misty818

Oct 18, 2020
Sun Valley, CA
I have been having a smoke smell in my house for a couple months or so. It had gotten very strong. I thought it was from the recent fires that were in the area, but the smell remained even after the smell outside had gone.

This morning I realized that I’d left my flue open since the beginning of July when I’d made a fire. It has been very hot here some days and the hot air must have brought the fumes into my house. I’m very worried now that myself and my dogs have been breathing this in for so long. Can anyone tell me how toxic this can be?

Yes, this sounds like downdraft due to warm weather. Close the damper, open up the house to air it out and see if that fixes the problem. I suspect that the odors are much less toxic than the smoke-laden air that the fires have caused.

Reactions: Misty818
To me, a downdraft months (or even days) after the last fire will just give you that dank creosote/smoke smell...not really dangerous, just annoying.
Now if this happens while there are still hot coals burning down, then you could have CO coming in the house...not good! Make sure you have a working CO alarm...

To me, a downdraft months (or even days) after the last fire will just give you that dank creosote/smoke smell...not really dangerous, just annoying.
Now if this happens while there are still hot coals burning down, then you could have CO coming in the house...not good! Make sure you have a working CO alarm...
Thank you. I do have a working CO2 detector.

I'm guessing that the downdraft was caused by high outside temps and air conditioning running. Was that the case?

I can imagine. I hope that the fire season has passed and you can enjoy nice weather now with the windows open.