Chimney spalling… Do I need to tear it down or can I repair it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZeeSmith

Aug 9, 2023
Northern Michigan
31B32314-DE81-4F02-B558-2732A19EDBB9.jpeg70D1781F-48BC-4E0A-86C5-05EFB643F048.jpeg77BF628A-0EF8-4833-9FD8-3D1EB8D80AEE.jpeg

I appreciate any guidance on my issues here and thank you in advance.

I bought this house 5 years ago. Built in 1986. I am wondering how screwed I am with the current amount spalling I’m seeing on the chimney. Chimney crown also has some cracks (lack of gap between flue tile and crown Im guessing?). I would love to install a Kuma or blaze king insert in the basement fire place (removing flue tile and installing a 6” insulated liner)… or should I just plan to tear this chimney down and install a new class A chimney elsewhere? Thanks again!

View attachment 314375View attachment 314374View attachment 314372

I appreciate any guidance on my issues here and thank you in advance.

I bought this house 5 years ago. Built in 1986. I am wondering how screwed I am with the current amount spalling I’m seeing on the chimney. Chimney crown also has some cracks (lack of gap between flue tile and crown Im guessing?). I would love to install a Kuma or blaze king insert in the basement fire place (removing flue tile and installing a 6” insulated liner)… or should I just plan to tear this chimney down and install a new class A chimney elsewhere? Thanks again!
Looks like your options are roofline up rebuild or wrap it with wire mesh and parge it. And a new crown obviously

Reactions: ZeeSmith
Thank you for the guidance Bholler. I’m looking into doing the mesh and parge myself. I’d have to do it from the roofline up, correct? I’ll look into masons who can replace the crown.

Thank you for the guidance Bholler. I’m looking into doing the mesh and parge myself. I’d have to do it from the roofline up, correct? I’ll look into masons who can replace the crown.
Yes cover everything visible