Chimney Sweeping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedrusdeodara

Dec 3, 2008
New Jersey
I picked up a set of flexible rods and a 6" round chimney brush from Lowes this week. I plan on sweeping my stainless steel sleeve monthly from here on. I have a question, does anyone know if there are any issues regarding doing your own cleaning vs. hiring a certified chimney sweep? In other words, could I void my stove warranty or jeopardize my homeowners insurance by doing this myself?

I plan on asking this same question to my insurance company too. I see the maintenance record section of my owners manual, but it doesn't say specifically that I have to pay a certified sweep to do the job.

Thanks for any information,
Brian

Cedrusdeodara said:
I picked up a set of flexible rods and a 6" round chimney brush from Lowes this week. I plan on sweeping my stainless steel sleeve monthly from here on. I have a question, does anyone know if there are any issues regarding doing your own cleaning vs. hiring a certified chimney sweep? In other words, could I void my stove warranty or jeopardize my homeowners insurance by doing this myself?

I plan on asking this same question to my insurance company too. I see the maintenance record section of my owners manual, but it doesn't say specifically that I have to pay a certified sweep to do the job.

Brian

I have never heard of cleaning your own chimney voiding the warranty, I think your fine there, and if that was the case, 90% of the folks on here would have voided warranty's.
As for insurance, not sure. Once a month is overkill, unless your burning less than desirable wood.
It is good for the first year to see how your burning habits and wood are doing.

I clean mine about mid season, and sometime between the end of the season and the start of the next. Not difficult, just don't think to do it. I do check it periodically when snow is not covering the roof!

Checking it once a month is a good thing but I think cleaning it once a month is a bad thing. You need to get an idea of normal accumulation. The first few fires are going to put some soot in the chimney and the level may not change much from that all season if you burn hot enough with good wood. If you clean it monthly you will never know if it would have been the same after three months or a year of burning. In addition to wear and tear on the liner and brush and giving gravity too many shots at landing you on the ground.

I clean mine mid-season, usually the first fluke semi-warm day in late December or early January. Usually really doesn't need it but it is just a habit. I can't resist taking a look every couple of months though.

yeah, I think I may clean mine again this weekend. I cleaned it prior to the season but I just wanna see if there is a reason to do it more during the winter.

Cedrusdeodara said:

Brian

If you have an insurance company friend, then talk to them about this off the record. But otherwise, I hate calling my insurance company asking them these sort of questions. If they have not made it clear to you that you cannot do this service yourself, then you are permitted to.

My friend working in the insurance business chuckles about the people who call in and ask them "I just got a speeding ticket, will my insurance go up?" and his answer has to be "yes". However in many cases, if they never called in the company would not have known.

The only time to call the insurance company IMO would be when installing a new wood stove or doing some other major work that would require inspection.

What kills me about insurance inspections is that they are a joke. My home has been inspected 3x (at least) by insurance companies and also 3x by private inspectors. None of them made me aware of the dangers situation that existed with my improperly built thimble. I am thankful to mindful individuals on this website who pointed out the situation to me.

I love it when inspectors will make note of a loose toilet bolt or a hole in a bathroom vent pipe in the attic but neglect to notice a true danger that could cost them a claim and my family our lives. We trusted them! Ugh.

Enough ranting :)

pen

pen said:
Cedrusdeodara said:

Brian

If you have an insurance company friend, then talk to them about this off the record. But otherwise, I hate calling my insurance company asking them these sort of questions. If they have not made it clear to you that you cannot do this service yourself, then you are permitted to.

My friend working in the insurance business chuckles about the people who call in and ask them "I just got a speeding ticket, will my insurance go up?" and his answer has to be "yes". However in many cases, if they never called in the company would not have known.

The only time to call the insurance company IMO would be when installing a new wood stove or doing some other major work that would require inspection.

What kills me about insurance inspections is that they are a joke. My home has been inspected 3x (at least) by insurance companies and also 3x by private inspectors. None of them made me aware of the dangers situation that existed with my improperly built thimble. I am thankful to mindful individuals on this website who pointed out the situation to me.

I love it when inspectors will make note of a loose toilet bolt or a hole in a bathroom vent pipe in the attic but neglect to notice a true danger that could cost them a claim and my family our lives. We trusted them! Ugh.

Enough ranting :)

pen

In the process of acquiring a lot of wood in anticipation of a stove. The hardwoods are all a minimum of 80 years old (and mostly more than 100!) that has been sitting out in the West Texas dry, under module tarps when not in use, for all that time. It is 4" to 8" in diameter and 20" to 24" long.

Questions:
What kind of creosote buildup rate can one expect from this kind of wood?
Can a qualified chimney sweep check out a stove and chimney installation and give sound advice as to its integrity? I'd like to make a twice/year appointment with a sweep to come clean and inspect the system for soundness. I am not comfortable doing these assesments myself. Is this a good idea or not. If not, please steer me right. Thanks--

Texas boy said:
[quote author="pen" date="1229371107

In the process of acquiring a lot of wood in anticipation of a stove. The hardwoods are all a minimum of 80 years old (and mostly more than 100!) that has been sitting out in the West Texas dry, under module tarps when not in use, for all that time. It is 4" to 8" in diameter and 20" to 24" long.

Questions:
Can a qualified chimney sweep check out a stove and chimney installation and give sound advice as to its integrity? I'd like to make a twice/year appointment with a sweep to come clean and inspect the system for soundness. I am not comfortable doing these assesments myself. Is this a good idea or not. If not, please steer me right. Thanks--

My best advice would be to look for people in your area that you know who burn wood and ask them which chimney sweeps they recommend or stay away from.

pen

The wood has been cut and sitting under tarps for 80 to 100 years?!? Or the trees were 80 to 100 years old when they were cut? Hardwoods cut, split and stacked for 1 full year should be ready to burn. 2+ years can be needed for big splits of oak etc.

A qualified chimney sweep will be just the guy for the job - should be able to do what you are asking no problem.

pen said:
Texas boy said:
[quote author="pen" date="1229371107

Questions:

My best advice would be to look for people in your area that you know who burn wood and ask them which chimney sweeps they recommend or stay away from.

pen

That's the whole issue: I don't know anyone in this area who heats with wood, they just burn wood in their FPs for the atmosphere. I don't know any "serious" woodburners in this part of the country to ask. I had planned to approach a sweep about the twice/year plan, but wanted to do that armed with the knowledge of the Hearth.com folks who do what I'm planning to do--heat the house with a wood stove. Maybe I'm going about it wrong or maybe it's not doable around here. Couldn't say. There are three sweeps in our phone book. Looks like I'll be calling them. Wish I knew more than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.