Chimney swept- the results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
9F28DCCC-FE32-4763-A4F7-FBAD583FA514.jpeg 88019270-27F6-4A0A-9766-FF35E8CEE3B7.jpeg used the sooteater on my 15 ft of insulated liner. A couple of cups of coffee-like soot with a bit of shiny flakes from way up top. I was pleased overall. Maybe about 3.5 cords burned last season.

Can't tell what we are looking at. But if you only had few cups of chips, you did good. The chimney can be black, but not much but some soot. I get some small chips but no gooey stuff.

Can't tell what we are looking at. But if you only had few cups of chips, you did good. The chimney can be black, but not much but some soot. I get some small chips but no gooey stuff.
The pile in the pic is 99% brown soot. Very little of the pile was shiny little bits ( probably not even a handful).

The pile in the pic is 99% brown soot. Very little of the pile was shiny little bits ( probably not even a handful).
You're living right and burning well.

You're living right and burning well.
Thanks all for the feedback. I experimented with much lower temp burns late in the season. This caused a layer of glaze inside stove as seen in the pic above. Is it ok to leave this glaze until this coming burning season or will this cause excessive corrosion to stove insides?

Reactions: coutufr
Looks good.

Nothing but brown soot from my 28 foot run last week, too. Also used the SootEater. I had more than that, though.

Ran a brush through this morning before I put the secondary air tubes and bricks back in, to see if I could get anything else. Very, very little additional soot. SootEater does a great job.

I'm ready for the fall. :)