Chinese Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Was offered the top of what is reportedly an elm, about 60 years old, and spent all day cutting. The middle was dark like walnut, my dad says it is likely chinese if it is an elm. Mostly nice straight branches. Will post pics of some of it if I can get decent lighting. Seemed like a very hard wood.

Probably siberian elm. Folks seem to use the two interchangeably, but they are different.

I picked up a bunch recently. Seems very wet and heavy, but what I have split seems like it will dry pretty quickly. Splits pretty easy, too.

Yeah its not bad stuff.Looks like Walnut until you get up close.Very heavy when wet or semi-green.Dries almost as fast as Silver Maple though.Great for Spring or Fall.

Probably siberian elm. Folks seem to use the two interchangeably, but they are different.

I picked up a bunch recently. Seems very wet and heavy, but what I have split seems like it will dry pretty quickly. Splits pretty easy, too.

Here it is under trunk light.

2012-12-17_19-24-55_730.jpg

Ditto OS

TS

Yeah, that was my thought. That's why I am looking for a positive ID. There was some dead dry near the top, it's burning slow, cool, and long compared to what else we've been burning.

Alright, Siberian elm it is. Thanks, Jeff.

let's see the bark and a split piece.

I'm at work until 3, will get some split and pics when I get home.

Fresh split. A little stringy, not bad.
2012-12-18_14-40-34_608.jpg

I have personally never seen an elm look like that.

Looks like black walnut to me.

Edit: Hmmm....searching the interwebz - maybe it is chinese elm

I have personally never seen an elm look like that.

Looks like black walnut to me.
That's what I thought when I was cutting, but it didn't have the signature smell.

Looks like elm we had several of these come down at work when Sandy came through.

Final verdict, jefft?

Looks like the the 4 Siberians I have in my front yard. I've lost quite a few branches that lead to css.

That be elm. I cut tons of the stuff every year. Good stuff. Expect more ash in the fire box tho. Folks often call them Chinese elm but true CE aka Lacebark elm is a different type.

Seems like most people are saying siberian.

Status
Not open for further replies.