Chipping Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bldvdb

Sep 17, 2014
Maine
Hello,

Previously I had a Jotul Castine and the enamel started chipping after three years. Jotul graciously replaced it through my dealer here in Maine. They came and installed the same exact model and color. Two years later it is chipping even worse than the first. Now I'm thinking I'm the problem - except that it is chipping all over and in areas I don't touch (so I didn't bang it with a piece of wood). Could it be the air in my house? Humidity in the summer? Do I go back to my dealer again? Here are a couple photos of the worst areas but it's chipping all over.

image_67205121.JPG image_67237889.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a bummer. I’d go back to the dealer and see what Jotul makes of it. I just don’t think indoors humidity should do that. I see a little surface rust where the enamel chipped. With no more F400s being sold I wonder what options they have if they did agree it’s a warrantied defect.

I’ve seen the fog roll in my in-laws open windows in Maine but the house never really feel more humid than my house with ac in the south.

There seems like similar relative locations on the front piece on the top id say that looks like a defect when washing something didn’t get cleaned off that area or dried on to it. but then the bit on the edge of the door and right next to that on the front piece. Those all line well almost like something was closed hard In The door.

I’d push for another replacement.

Wow! That is a lot of chipping. I have the F500 with the brown enamel going on 4 years and don't have any crazy chipping like that but we are also not full time burners. The chipping on yours is in areas where I wouldn't expect chipping from something hitting into the stove. Are your near salt water?

I have a blue F600 that I run fairly hard
and it has not chipped or cracked.....yet