Choosing a Stove/Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No such luck on the basement.
Do you see this being the case regardless of stove? Treating size as a constant, would this issue be the same regardless of freestanding/insert, steal/soapstone, no-cat/hybrid/cat? I've only ever used a standard steal stove this exact issue was why I was looking at soapstone and/or cat and hybrid options.
Yes, heat is heat. A pure cat insert can burn low and slow, which will help keep the room more comfortable, but that has nothing to do with heat distribution throughout the house.
The family room is going to be warmer than the kitchen. How much warmer is TBD it might only be 5º warmer which could be quite tolerable. With its peaked ceiling one option would be to scavenge heat at the top of the ceiling and duct it into the upstairs hallway via the spare room with a quiet blower on a thermostat.

What is the primary heating system in the house?

Yes, heat is heat. A pure cat insert can burn low and slow, which will help keep the room more comfortable, but that has nothing to do with heat distribution throughout the house.
The family room is going to be warmer than the kitchen. How much warmer is TBD it might only be 5º warmer which could be quite tolerable. With its peaked ceiling one option would be to scavenge heat at the top of the ceiling and duct it into the upstairs hallway via the spare room with a quiet blower on a thermostat.

What is the primary heating system in the house?
Oil forced hot air system w/ 2 zone - up and down
I suppose i was thinking a more moderate rate of heat may allow more time for natural dispersion but that much of that would be dictated by the difference in the rate of heat leaked at the cooler areas vs the rate the heat moves to them

Is the first floor furnace ducting all within the heated envelope of the house or in a crawlspace?

Is the first floor furnace ducting all within the heated envelope of the house or in a crawlspace?
all runs through the ceiling of the basement - much of it is finished but the utilities room is obviously unfinished and the room directly under the family room where the fireplace is

Is there a return duct in your family room? Could try blocking off other return ducts, and sucking all the air from the family room and letting the fan redistribute the hot air from the family room to the rest of the first floor. Could possibly work.

Is there a return duct in your family room? Could try blocking off other return ducts, and sucking all the air from the family room and letting the fan redistribute the hot air from the family room to the rest of the first floor. Could possibly work.
There is but I believe it's "downstream" from the others so it may just such up hot air and bring it back to the furnace (unless i'm misunderstanding the flow)

There is but I believe it's "downstream" from the others so it may just such up hot air and bring it back to the furnace (unless i'm misunderstanding the flow)

I can't speak for all furnaces, but the ones I've been around will pull air from the return ducts, run it through the furnace then distribute it back to the house. But you can run the fan with the furnace off, which will pull air from the returns, filter it then just blow it back through all the vents. We do this at our house if it gets too dang hot in our downstairs and it does help to pull some heat out of the downstairs and move a bit of it upstairs. Not real efficient in our case since some portions of the ducting run in our un-insulated crawl space under the house. So we lose a lot of heat in those areas. But overall it does help.

Reactions: avsmusic1
I can't speak for all furnaces, but the ones I've been around will pull air from the return ducts, run it through the furnace then distribute it back to the house. But you can run the fan with the furnace off, which will pull air from the returns, filter it then just blow it back through all the vents. We do this at our house if it gets too dang hot in our downstairs and it does help to pull some heat out of the downstairs and move a bit of it upstairs. Not real efficient in our case since some portions of the ducting run in our un-insulated crawl space under the house. So we lose a lot of heat in those areas. But overall it does help.
Ah ok I'm following now
Yes I think you're right. I suppose if i just ran the fan it would cycle - seems like a solid idea
Thanks!

Ok so I've been marinating on this a bit and, per the guidance here, I'm specifically reconsidering my initial desire to put in the largest firebox I could fit. I certainly know there is likely to be a notable difference in temp from room to room based on proximity to stove, but I don't want to cook myself out of the family room to get the adjacent rooms tolerable. So I'm considering slightly smaller models and leaning more to a cat stove to better manage the output. Basically I've gone from thinking "biggest I can fit" to "biggest that wont cook me out of my room"

I've added the BK Ashford insert and the Hampton HI500 to my list but I'm not certain BK is really available in CT as their website doesn't give me anything.

Any additional thoughts on these vs the initial options of FX Large flush insert or Woodstock Progress? I'm open to trying to add a vent/duct to try and draw some of the heat trapped in the vaulted ceiling area into the upstairs, but that wouldn't be a short term project

Thanks

I've added the BK Ashford insert and the Hampton HI500 to my list but I'm not certain BK is really available in CT as their website doesn't give me anything.

Not sure where you are in CT, I'm pretty far east. Closest BK dealer to me was listed as Preston Trading post. I have no first-hand experience buying from them, but I did call them for a price on a BK Ashford, they were polite and gave me a price right over the phone. They have 4.5 stars on 126 google reviews.
Just a thought. Good luck!

Not sure where you are in CT, I'm pretty far east. Closest BK dealer to me was listed as Preston Trading post. I have no first-hand experience buying from them, but I did call them for a price on a BK Ashford, they were polite and gave me a price right over the phone. They have 4.5 stars on 126 google reviews.
Thank you
It's odd the BK website doesn't return anything but it's certainly encouraging to know they're available. I'm in unionville (west of hartford) so it'd be a bit of a drive, but likely worth it to see some BK models in person. It'd likely be more of a question of if they'd come to me if i did want to go that route lol
On an unrelated note, I love the picture of your lumber stack with who I assume is your son.

Preston has been in the business for a long time. They have a good reputation. What part of CT are you in?

Preston has been in the business for a long time. They have a good reputation. What part of CT are you in?
On an unrelated note, I love the picture of your lumber stack with who I assume is your son.

@begreen I live right next to UConn - my wife actually works there, and the back half of my property is in Mansfield (Storrs).
@avsmusic1 Yes, that is my son, and thank you for commenting. I have 4 acres covered in large Oaks. A couple years ago the Gypsy moth caterpillars completely defoliated them two years in a row - killing most of them. I had to drop at least 8 (many more standing dead still) that were from 24" to 32" in diameter. Can't give the wood away around here, no one will bother to come cut and load it. So i had a guy come with a mobile saw mill and cut it all up. Not sure what i'll do with it, but i can't stand to see it go to waste. I had him cut some maple strips as well - going to play around with butcher block counters and floating shelves. Even after all the lumber he milled, I still have so much firewood sitting around I think I could heat my house for a decade - hence I'm on this site and trying to get a stove installed :)
P.s. as far as coming out your way and the install, I don't know about Preston, but I just had Tyler from Integrity Heat in Stafford come give me a quote on my install. He was very prompt and professional and also has great reviews. Might be worth a call if you are trying to have someone come inspect the location and offer suggestions.

@begreen I live right next to UConn - my wife actually works there, and the back half of my property is in Mansfield (Storrs).
@avsmusic1 Yes, that is my son, and thank you for commenting. I have 4 acres covered in large Oaks. A couple years ago the Gypsy moth caterpillars completely defoliated them two years in a row - killing most of them. I had to drop at least 8 (many more standing dead still) that were from 24" to 32" in diameter. Can't give the wood away around here, no one will bother to come cut and load it. So i had a guy come with a mobile saw mill and cut it all up. Not sure what i'll do with it, but i can't stand to see it go to waste. I had him cut some maple strips as well - going to play around with butcher block counters and floating shelves. Even after all the lumber he milled, I still have so much firewood sitting around I think I could heat my house for a decade - hence I'm on this site and trying to get a stove installed :)
P.s. as far as coming out your way and the install, I don't know about Preston, but I just had Tyler from Integrity Heat in Stafford come give me a quote on my install. He was very prompt and professional and also has great reviews. Might be worth a call if you are trying to have someone come inspect the location and offer suggestions.
I'll check out Integrity heat too. Unfortunately the closest shop to me is probably Deanes but I'm going to make an effort to not deal with them as I've known too many folks with negative experiences.
My buddy w/ spare wood that I made reference to in an earlier post here had some large oaks taken down around the same time and had a couple milled. I literally just put a coat of finish on a desk I'm making for my wife for Christmas moments before this reply. As we've already flagged, I'm not exactly close, but if you need anything as you're digging into that lumber stack let me know. I'm no pro furniture maker but I've been a reasonably serious hobbyist for about 6 years now

Reactions: tabner

Do you mind sharing the price? I was just quoted $5,086 for a BK Ashford 30.2 and an additional $484 for the blower fan. This is just the standard stove without enamel. Those prices seemed high to me.

Do you mind sharing the price? I was just quoted $5,086 for a BK Ashford 30.2 and an additional $484 for the blower fan. This is just the standard stove without enamel. Those prices seemed high to me.
I don't mind sharing at all. Although i'm not positive on forum rules. If an admin finds me out of line please delete this comment with my apologies. I threw out the piece of paper it was written on, but i'm pretty positive it was an Ashford 20.2. No enamel, just the cast iron, and no blower. $3400 is what i remember. Maybe $3300. That was with me picking it up, no delivery. I asked for a cash discount and they said no.

Hopefully that also includes installation, though the blower price is quite high.

@green I live right next to UConn - my wife actually works there, and the back half of my property is in Mansfield (Storrs).
Actually, I was asking this of @avsmusic1. Wondering how close he is to Preston, CT.

Actually, I was asking this of @avsmusic1. Wondering how close he is to Preston, CT.
Sorry - i missed this - I'm probably an hr drive from them... maybe a little over an hr

BeGreen - I'd also welcome any thoughts you have on the inclusion of the new options and/or the general idea of leaning toward a firebox more in the 2-2.5 size with a cat vs 3cuft

Thank you

Last edited:
Hopefully that also includes installation, though the blower price is quite high.

Nope, installation is separate. That is the price for the stove only and doesn't include the piping, cap, etc. These folks are the only BK game in town in my area so I may have to go with a different brand. Too bad... I've wanted a BK Ashford for years.

Is there a way to ID "local" Blaze King dealers beyond their dealer search without having to call everyone individually?

Is there a way to ID "local" Blaze King dealers beyond their dealer search without having to call everyone individually?

I live in western MA near the CT border. I was surprised when a few weeks ago I went to the local service/gas station/convenience store and in the tiny waiting room of the auto repair shop they had a BK stove and a rack of brochures. Turns out they are a BK dealer. Not really the kind of dealer you'd want to go to to look at all the models in the showroom, but I would think they could order any model if you know what you want.

The name of the place is Papa's Healthy Food and Fuel in East Otis, MA. It's a short drive north on Rt 8 if you're close to Torrington/Winsted area in CT.

all runs through the ceiling of the basement - much of it is finished but the utilities room is obviously unfinished and the room directly under the family room where the fireplace is
Wait. Previously I read "no such luck on basement". If there is a basement then that is the ideal place to run an insulated duct to establish a convection loop to the opposite side of the house.

Preston Trading Post will deliver to you, they generally have lower prices than the competition.
Im going to give them a call today - thanks
Wait. Previously I read "no such luck on basement". If there is a basement then that is the ideal place to run an insulated duct to establish a convection loop to the opposite side of the house.
Sorry for any confusion. Yes there is a full basement but I'm not in love w/ the idea of running additional ductwork. The initial research i did here didnt sound like folks thought it was a particularly good idea (i recall reading a couple comments essentially saying "stoves weren't designed for that - if you want it to work like a furnace, buy a furnace").
That said, im rethinking my position on other things so its certainly something I'm willing to get more info on. Is there any particular thread that comes to mind? I'll do some searching of my own too of course.
Thank you

Ok i called Preston earlier (great people)
The ashford seems viable price wise (better than the HI500) but it's backordered for 6-8 weeks. I'm not in a rush mind you, but i wouldn't hate to have it for a greater portion of the winter. If I can't get anything till close to spring anyway it may be worth waiting to see the specs on the new Clydesdale or to see if there are better deals to be had when the weather warms.

Decisions decisions.... I still may drive out there this weekend to talk to them in person as they seem like the most knowledgeable retailer I've talked to thus far.

Reactions: Sailrmike