Christmas Eve Cutting.. It's a start.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Went out and cut a few dead standing. One 24" plus dead standing oak. Got a buddy wants the few logs out of that one.

Got my sled together and tried that. Will work nice once I get another foot of snow on the rough skid roads around my land.

Dragged out a few dead standings with the kubota. Splitter comes next week..

Merry Christmas to you all.

Here's a pic of the toys.. um I mean TOOLS

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 654
nice "tools"!

I didn't show you the other side of the tractor..where it HAD a door.

Dad's first time using my new tractor. Helped me out by coming to plow when I was away. Door not latched, swung open and caught my other snowmobile. POW!

New glass on order. Merry Christmas. :) I told him it was all insured. It is. I'll eat the deductable.. he felt bad enough already.

JP

Nice pics and merry christmas. That looks like the perfect winter/snow setup. Be safe

Good that you at least have a little bit of snow to skid on.

Nice sled, 500 Skandic?
May not need the snow blower this year :) Very nice!
Yep,You have nice toys ** Tools :)

It's got that classic Skidoo yellow . . . guessing either a
Tundra or Skandic.

My sled -- play only -- doesn't come out until we have a lot more snow on the ground.

JP11 said:
Went out and cut a few dead standing. One 24" plus dead standing oak. Got a buddy wants the few logs out of that one.

Got my sled together and tried that. Will work nice once I get another foot of snow on the rough skid roads around my land.

Dragged out a few dead standings with the kubota. Splitter comes next week..

Merry Christmas to you all.

Here's a pic of the toys.. um I mean TOOLS

Nice work JP11, what type of logs did you get?

zap

do we see a hitch ball on that ski sled? if so how well does it tow?

It's a 500Fan Skandic. 2002. Tows great. I helped out the local snowmobile club. I bought it from them, maintain it, and I still drag the trails with it.

To be honest.. I'm not sure exactly WHAT I got for logs. I'm gonna burn two types.. Blow downs and dead standing! :)

One I know was a yellow birch. Other was I think a maple. Smooth, dark grey skin. It had been blown over.. but still really solid. I built a pond, and raised the level of the ground.. so quite a few GOOD trees got their roots covered over a lot. I SHOULD have cut them when I built the pond.. but the wife didn't want to lose em. It was easier to let nature take them out. Less fight that way. I got a couple 20 plus foot oak tops. That were 12" or so. Dry enough I think to burn next year.

When I was riding around I found a couple fresh blown down I didn't know about. Both are laying right along side the trail. Both about waist high. Easy pickins. Sled worked good.. but trails were so rough I rolled the logs out at one spot. I think stove length, with one of those bungee nets over the top.... and i could really boogie. Not sure what those were. Smooth bark, but lighter grey. The other was either an ash or an oak. I gotta work on my Tree ID. Need to start taking pics I guess.

Merry Christmas to you all. Would love to get in an hour of bucking logs tomorrow. Not sure if the wife has enough patience for that.

JP

I have a similar skidder that is yellow and black. Use it more for pulling the sled to reload stacks in the winter as to tearing through the bush.

A SkiDoo MXZ 600

KC

Jason,What are doing chipping the tops with snow blower.What till i tell mark!!!!! I just sold my 440c john deere skidder,I bought a small winch for my tractor and a grapple for the front end. You would love to have a winch on that tractor and i would love a cab on mine.Do you have a wood splitter?

Splitter gets delivered end of the week. I got a Northstar 30 Ton.

Curious to see how much wood I have already. Some is near ready to go. came across about a cord of Oak and ash that I cut 4 years ago and stacked mostly 4 foot length off the ground when I put in my underground power line. Some of the tops of the dead standing stuff I've been cutting isoalready dry.

I like the cab.. and it's a driveway plow machine (half mile) first and foremost. I do wish for something I could bash about it the woods more. Foolishly.... I have been looking at old skidders in Uncle Henrys. I really don't need, or want an old piece of equipment to work on. I got rid of my old '66 JD when I bought the kubota. I do have a neighbor with 2 skidders... maybe I could "rent" his a couple weeks a year and get my "fix"

I've had the blower on once this year. Really wanted to test my hydraulics. I built a hydraulic controlled spout, and bought the pieces to do the chute rotation. Awful nice sitting in the warm cab.

Going to get a load of pallets tomorrow. Lots of splitting and stacking to do. Trying my best to get ahead two years before the boiler comes.

JP

I have a seven foot snow blower on the back of mine,with the hydraulic rotator.You could still skid out with just a chain.Your neaighbor could skid out all you need for 3 years in about a few days.I sold mine for just that reason use it for a week then it sits for a year. I got all the money i paid as the previos owner kept it perfect.I am going to get some wood cut this week before we get to much snow on the ground.I hope you had a nice holiday.

henfruit

Great holiday here. Still want to bring the wife over to fire that Vigas. I'm on vacation most of Jan and Feb. I'll holler sometime.

Just scored a big pile of cut off BIG ROUNDS that have been cut two years. Best part. they aren't even at the end of my driveway. Guy I bought my land from kept 15 acres. He had it cut two years ago. Just got to get on the tractor and go get em.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.