(*&%$# Cicadas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
They are gone but splitting the ends of limbs to lay eggs has all of our trees looking like this.

51de07491b892.preview-300.jpg

So far we lucked out, had one buzzing in the pool house. Keep them your way please;)

Still haven't seen one.

They are gone now. But they were in gear while the roof was being ripped off of the house for replacement. So the attic is probably a Cicada graveyard. There are carcasses everywhere else.

Am hearing them here now.

Noticed some trees like that before I left the lake last week. Didn't make the connection. Will have to check when I get back. If it isn't drought it's cicadas. Darn. The trees have had a tough twenty years. Hope things get better soon.

Nothing here, not a one.
I seems to remember them every summer as a kid. Not sure how it ended up being every 17 years?

Reactions: Ashful
We're being spared this year.

I remember the Gypsy Moths when I was a kid. Summer time, windows open at night, and all you heard was them munching on the leaves :mad:

I don't mind the Cicadas. They really do not damage much here, and I actually like hearing them in the morning when I wake up, well used to, its been a while. Takes me back to summer vacation from school, late nights of partying, and late mornings rising to sweltering heat outside, A/C inside and Cicadas vibrating away. I miss my youth.
They Gypsy moths have not been bad back where I am at, but they are bad in this state and the Pocono region. Not much on the Gypsy moth front either. I guess finally having a real winter reset the balance of nature it seems.

Nothing here, not a one.
I seems to remember them every summer as a kid. Not sure how it ended up being every 17 years?

There are a few different kinds -the annual, larger greenish black ones come out every year in low numbers. I saw where some had molted out yesterday, so maybe 2-3 weeks before you get them.
The small 17 year ones have different "broods" in different areas. They are a groovy black and orange color. I'm only an hour and a half or so from Bart, and didn't see a one this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.