Circulating hot air from your pellet stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, i'm looking to replace those taco units with something modern with a swing temp-- they fire too frequently in my lower level causing a lot of cycling of the furnace. Can I change these out of a modern lux/etc type unit?

How hot do you think you would have to get the basement to have the air make a difference upstairs when it is circulated by the blower? It's probably going to cool the air down some.... I've tried running the furnace fan but it actually cools the house.
My basement gets to about. 23*- 24* then I turn the fan on to the furnace. I also installed another cold air return in the basement right across from the stove, it works awesome. The cold air return is at ceiling height so it sucks all the heat that is collecting up there. Takes about 10-15mins and you start to get warm air coming through all the vents.

In a 3-zone Taco set up, would I need 3 devices?

Hi Brian,
Either
A) You use three ThermGuards

B) You determine that only one or two zones are possible freeze potentials and equip those thermostats. This is what I do. I have 5 zones, but only 3 have ThermGuards. My bedroom gets heat often enough that I don't have a freeze concern. My basement has one, as well as the zone that is in the room with the wood stove.

C) You can hook a relay to the ThermGuard and cycle all the zones simultaneously. This is discussed in the forum: "Thermguard in boiler room?" or https://www.hearth.com/talk/posts/799560/
While this option is a lot more DIY, it is less expensive than having a ThermGuard on each zone.

I hope this helps!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.