CL ad -- fuzzy math on my part... What's the best deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
Firewood for pickup or delivery
All wood ready to burn

PickUp
6ft bed unstacked $50
6ft bed Stacked to top of bed $60

8ft bed unstacked $60
8ft bed stacked to top of bed $70

Delivery
Dump Trailer $90 plus gas

-----------------------------

Get out yer slide rules, folks. Help the number-challenged...

Thanks!

Nancy

The size of the dump trailer is gonna make a big difference. Get the dimensions if possible. Taking a SWAG - its gonna be the trailer.

I would take the stacked pickup price. They may be charging ten more bucks for the labor but you'll get a lot more wood with it being stacked to the top of the gunwales. Whether the delivery price is worth it depends on how far away it is and how big is the trailer.

This source is probably less than 10 miles from my house, so delivery cost should not be that much...

Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:
This source is probably less than 10 miles from my house, so delivery cost should not be that much...

Nancy

Well, then it might be a good deal to go with $90 for the trailer load but I would still verify the size of the trailer. I somehow doubt that the wood in the trailer will be stacked, though, so if it's a small trailer you might get more in a stacked pickup load.

However, if you don't have a trailer and you really need them to deliver it, you have your answer. Still.... why don't you check with them about the trailer size and let us know.

Also, try to get it cut to fit your fireplace. Example: 20 inch split for a 22 inch fireplace. They are splitting it for you, right?

Just talked with the guy, and I forgot to ask about the size of the trailer. He is calling me Monday to arrange a visit to look at some trees I want dropped, and I'll get the details then.

He will cut to whatever length I want.

I have a splitter, and I'd rather split my own. Would it make more sense just to order rounds from him? He has locust, ash and oak, but I have my own oak...

I told him I'm working on next year's wood, or the year after...

Nancy

Nancy, if the price is for split wood then by all means, take it split. With it stacked, you'll get more wood than in the round. You can split the wood you have on your property. I would assume his price is for split wood but that would be good to know before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.