Clarify which joints need and dont need silicone please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cparts

Aug 7, 2017
Southwest Virginia
new to putting liner pipe together...

1 Do I ever need to put silicone on manufacturer twist joints?

2 When connecting flex pipe to adapter do I use silicone and screws, or just screws? If the former can I ever get the glued flex off if I need to service unit?

3 I’m assuming I put silicone on stove side of adapter and drill and screw, yes or no?

Thanks

Attachments

• 60C43F20-C98A-41BE-97A3-589FA36C0426.jpeg
    60C43F20-C98A-41BE-97A3-589FA36C0426.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 161
  • A0455A10-4873-45F2-A305-7E724F7564EE.jpeg
    A0455A10-4873-45F2-A305-7E724F7564EE.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 3745AC54-1C6A-48A1-A250-F21C383240DE.jpeg
    3745AC54-1C6A-48A1-A250-F21C383240DE.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 151
Not sure what exact brand of pipe that is, but it looks like Dura Vent? What does the manufacturer install instructions say?

I don't think that type of pipe has the silicone gaskets, so the instructions probably say to seal the joints with silicone. Even if you had the gaskets, you would probably need to run a bead of silicone on the joints to make them stop leaking.

On the joint from the stove collar to the tee, you run a bead of silicone on the stove collar and then insert the tee/adapter over that, then apply 3 sheet metal screws (the self drilling type, small) to secure the tee/adapter on the stove exhaust collar (the thing here is to make the joint so secure that it can never separate on its own and set your house on fire). If ever you need to remove it, it is going to be a PITA. The important thing to do before you install the tee/adapter on the stove collar is to seal the gap between the double pipe with silicone, because that gap is prone to leaking smoke and it is easier to fill it with thick gobs of silicone before install. Use the orange, high heat silicone found in auto parts stores, RTV silicone. Or order the high heat black silicone if you want it to match the black pipe. Sometimes you can find it in the chimney/stove isle of the big box stores, next to the rope gaskets.

collar.jpeg.jpg

For the joints between pipes with the twist lock mechanism, some people use high heat HVAC foil tape over the joint because it is easier to cut the tape to take it apart if need be.

As for the connection between the flex lines and that adapter, I am not sure, so I would see what the adapter manufacturer recommends. But I would guess it would be silicone bead and screws. I see what you mean about detaching for service. Maybe some one else will comment on that issue.

Good luck.

Reactions: kenora
I believe that you should be able to cut through the RTV if you ever have to. It would be a pain, but you could do it. I don't believe it ever gets rock hard, although it does firm up quite a bit over time.

Reactions: cparts
Not sure what exact brand of pipe that is, but it looks like Dura Vent? What does the manufacturer install instructions say?

I don't think that type of pipe has the silicone gaskets, so the instructions probably say to seal the joints with silicone. Even if you had the gaskets, you would probably need to run a bead of silicone on the joints to make them stop leaking.

On the joint from the stove collar to the tee, you run a bead of silicone on the stove collar and then insert the tee/adapter over that, then apply 3 sheet metal screws (the self drilling type, small) to secure the tee/adapter on the stove exhaust collar (the thing here is to make the joint so secure that it can never separate on its own and set your house on fire). If ever you need to remove it, it is going to be a PITA. The important thing to do before you install the tee/adapter on the stove collar is to seal the gap between the double pipe with silicone, because that gap is prone to leaking smoke and it is easier to fill it with thick gobs of silicone before install. Use the orange, high heat silicone found in auto parts stores, RTV silicone. Or order the high heat black silicone if you want it to match the black pipe. Sometimes you can find it in the chimney/stove isle of the big box stores, next to the rope gaskets.

View attachment 233860

For the joints between pipes with the twist lock mechanism, some people use high heat HVAC foil tape over the joint because it is easier to cut the tape to take it apart if need be.

As for the connection between the flex lines and that adapter, I am not sure, so I would see what the adapter manufacturer recommends. But I would guess it would be silicone bead and screws. I see what you mean about detaching for service. Maybe some one else will comment on that issue.

Good luck.
Hi,

It is duravent. I was unsure after reading the literature, so I called duravent. they said those slip joints did have silicone on them. I looked inside and there is a red bead around the outer-inner colar.

I will use the RTV on the other parts. and gob it up where the flex pipe meets the adapter at the top of the cleanout T.

Thanks!

I ran a bead of silicone around all joints including the outside sections. I found my screened cap on the end of the pipe was leaking around the seam and blowing soot back onto the house.. Its easy to cut the silicone and take everything apart.

new to putting liner pipe together...

1 Do I ever need to put silicone on manufacturer twist joints?

2 When connecting flex pipe to adapter do I use silicone and screws, or just screws? If the former can I ever get the glued flex off if I need to service unit?

3 I’m assuming I put silicone on stove side of adapter and drill and screw, yes or no?

Thanks
I found that joints that need to be sealed can be with a couple of products. Aluminum Tape can be used on joints that do not get overly hot and for joints on the OAK. This tape is much easier to remove than silicone. Remember that silicone will not stick to dried silicone if you need to redo a joint. If the Aluminum tape doesn't work for your application, use silicone tape. Duck Brand has silicone tape that is less expensive than most. I think I paid about $6 for a 10 ft. roll.

Keep in mind at some point you will have to remove the stove from its position. So with that in mind I smear a small amount of silicone on the outside of the pipe joints never inside them. If you just do it on the outside you can simply cut it and the pipe comes apart but is you smear it on the inside normally you will ruin the pipe before you get it off. You got good advice above.

Reactions: kenora and Nicole
+1 to rona above and here's an improvement on that. After smearing the high-temp RTV around the outside of the joint, wrap it immediately with good quality high-temp aluminum tape.

Reactions: kenora
With The Pelletvent Pro we have had good luck not sealing seams. I do fill gap between inner and outer pipe on appliance adapter. I use a twist joint on the back of my stove as a disconnect to spin my stove around to service it. It has been apart several times and seals right back up without tape. It is on my corn burner so if it is leaking at all you would know, Corn exhaust does not have a pleasant smell.