Class A Chimney 30 degree Rise and Run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

O Never Done

Mar 21, 2018
Upstate NY
Hi Forum members.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out how far away a wood stove can be placed from the house chimney penetration at roof ridge.

Pipe will penetrate 1-story ranch ceiling and then make a 30 degree elbow in attic space.

There is 8 ft of headroom in attic (8 ft are of Rise)

Roof pitch is 7/12.

How far can of horizontal run can i make up in that 8 ft rise????

Do I need 2 ft of rise for every 1 ft of run , with a 30 degree elbow ? Or do I have this wrong.

So will I be maxed out at 4 ft of run with 8 ft headroom (rise)?

Why the extreme offset? A straight run will always perform better.

Is there a reason you can’t go straight up? Or at least have a minimal offset?

Ya... science aside. My question is why? Is there an obstacle?

Thanks for the replies. The large offset is due to me wanting the stove approx. 9 ft away from vertical point chimney on top of house is at. The chimney pipe will come out of my house directly in the center of the house, I want the stove 9 ft away from that point in my living room for more viewing pleasure mostly.

It looks like it is a no-go. and live with a stove directly under chimney and go straight up.

I guess I have to break out the Sin Cosine and Tangent charts. to figure max run for 8 ft rise.

Thanks again.

I was able to calculate......Tangent=Opposite / Adjacent.... Tangent of 30 degrees = 0.58 , so for every 1 ft of rise on a 30 degree elbow slope setup, you will get .58 ft of run, and your diagonal/hyptonuse is 1 ft , on this 30-60-90.

So for 8 ft of headroom in attic the offset could be about 4.5 ft

Each brand of pipe is a little different, and come with an offset chart that gives you rise and run. Many are available online.

I was able to calculate......Tangent=Opposite / Adjacent.... Tangent of 30 degrees = 0.58 , so for every 1 ft of rise on a 30 degree elbow slope setup, you will get .58 ft of run, and your diagonal/hyptonuse is 1 ft , on this 30-60-90.

So for 8 ft of headroom in attic the offset could be about 4.5 ft

Never mind, brain fart...