Class A woodstove chimney installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mofarmer

Oct 20, 2018
Missouri
Hi,

I have an exterior masonry chimney that's starting to lean away from my house. I currently use this chimney for a woodstove in my basement. I'm thinking about tearing my masonry chimney down and replacing it with a class A through the wall chimney installation. I'd like to be able to clean out the class A chimney from the bottom because the chimney will be approximately 26 feet high, but I'd probably have to dig down 3 or 4 foot to do this. My question is would it be possible to run a vertical tee 3 or 4 foot above the bottom of the chimney and use this for a clean out? I'm not familiar with how the tees are constructed and if they have different fitting types on the ends and bottom.

Many Thanks.

Possible yes, but will this lower tee remain uncovered outdoors in some sort of deep hole or well? It shouldn't be backfilled or buried.

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

The chimney in my basement is about a foot underground now. I realize I'll have to dig down a foot or two to keep the lower tee from being underground and probably pour some type of footer with a drain pipe in keep water away from the bottom of the chimney. I just don't want to have to dig down 3 or 4 foot to enable me to clean the chimney from the bottom. I've considered running the chimney through our basement floor and then through the wall, but prefer not to do this.

One option would be to cap the tee and pull the stove pipe inside to vacuum out after sweeping.

Any possibility of running the chimney up thru the house? That would work a lot better and probably would be cheaper to install.

This would also be a GREAT time to think about if you really are happiest where the stove is located.

Maybe move to more central location?
Maybe move closer to ground level side of house?

Hi begreen.

I'm not sure by what you mean when you say "One option would be to cap the tee and pull the stove pipe inside to vacuum out after sweeping.". Could I have two tees, one at the bottom of the chimney and the 2nd tee 3 or 4 foot above the bottom tee and use the 2nd tee to clean out the chimney without having to clean in from the top. I currently have to pull my stove pile and vacuum it out after cleaning. I'm just wanting to avoid having to clean it out from the top. I'm in my 60s, afraid of heights, and not as limber as I used to be.

I realize running the chimney through the house would probably give the best performance, but we'd prefer not doing this.

Hi Mad Mark.

We live on a farm and we really like having our wood stove located in our basement because we dry out our wet gloves and clothes near the stove when it's snowing or raining outside.

Thanks for you replies.

In cases like this i typically would take the masonry chimney down to about a foot above grade. Put a short section of liner with a tee in the bottom and then connect it to a transition plate ontop of the masory to switch over to class a chimney. Snd no you cant have a cleanout tee above the inlet

Thanks bholler. That's a good idea. Do they sell transition plates for this type of installation or do you make your own for this situation? Would I need a tee where the liner connects to the class a chimney?

Thanks bholler. That's a good idea. Do they sell transition plates for this type of installation or do you make your own for this situation? Would I need a tee where the liner connects to the class a chimney?
Yes they make the transition plates it would have to match the brand of your class a. And do tee at the transition. Just the tee in the liner at the bottom.

Yes they make the transition plates it would have to match the brand of your class a. And do tee at the transition. Just the tee in the liner at the bottom.
Same as an anchor plate? I'm thinking of doing this to my boiler chimney.

Same as an anchor plate? I'm thinking of doing this to my boiler chimney.
Similar but it has a fitting on the bottim to attach to the liner

Hi bholler,

What companies offer these type of transition plates? I'm thinking about using Hart and Cooley TLC class a chimney pipe for my installation. I see TLC has anchor plates, but I don't know if they have this type of transition plate. Also, do you have any opinions on TLC class a chimney pipe?

Thanks.

Hi bholler,

What companies offer these type of transition plates? I'm thinking about using Hart and Cooley TLC class a chimney pipe for my installation. I see TLC has anchor plates, but I don't know if they have this type of transition plate. Also, do you have any opinions on TLC class a chimney pipe?

Thanks.
I have never worked with tlc pipe so i cant give you an sort of informed opinion there. The transion peice many times is not in the catalog. But most manufacturers i have contacted about it have had them. I can tell you for sure that excell and ventis have them. I am pretty sure some of the dura lines do as well.