Classic Bay 1200: Cleaning the outside of the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedLib

Dec 1, 2014
MetroWest, Massachusetts
So this may be an obvious question, but I haven't seen an obvious answer during my searches:

How do I properly clean the outside of my Classic Bay 1200?

Typically I use Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner for jobs like this, mixed in a 1:1 ratio. Cleans everything and anything I've tried it on, and have never had any problems with the product. However, I know my stove has special heat-resistant paint on it, and that paint is expensive to repair. Can I use Simple Green AP 1:1 on the exterior paint? Or is there something better/recommended that I should use?

The manual does not state how to clean the outside of the stove.

N.B. My stove is my baby. I vacuum her out (interior and exterior) every day, and clean the glass with Novus Plastic Clean and Shine, which I've used for years on prescription glasses with expensive coatings and has never stripped or scratched the glass. It bothers me to see her getting dirty and dusty. I think on this forum I can admit that. _g

Whats wrong with water? No need for chemicals on the stove even the glass. Your wasting your money and perhaps causing damage.

Reactions: heat seeker
I just use a slightly damp sponge on mine. There's no grease involved, so no need for solvents or soaps.

Reactions: JDenyer236
N.B. My stove is my baby. I vacuum her out (interior and exterior) every day, and clean the glass with Novus Plastic Clean and Shine, which I've used for years on prescription glasses with expensive coatings and has never stripped or scratched the glass. It bothers me to see her getting dirty and dusty. I think on this forum I can admit that. _g

Welcome to the forum! We're thinking of starting a 12 step program ... seems you've got it bad ;lol;lol Seriously, taking care of your baby should keep her running well and dependably. Over time that finish may change due to the stress of heat and may need touch-up but will be a while off yet. Just water on a soft cloth....

Reactions: JDenyer236
Just so you know that paint on your stove is nothing special or expensive, it's just high temp stove paint. That being said I wouldn't use any soaps or solvent on it. You don't want to have to repaint it sooner than you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.