Classic bay 1200 free standing ash plate not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reddrop

Jan 10, 2021
connecticut
The ash plate on the bottom of the burn pot moves ok but the ash plate just below it, which empties the ash from the chamber ( directly below the ash pot and the one that contains the igniter), does not open and shut. The rod to the ash plates working ok and the mechanism works but the second plate does move. I got in touch with my dealer here in CT and then another Quadra Fire dealer in Minnesota, but all they have is a parts list and the parts that attach to the bottom slideplate shows nothing I also called the company and they route all incoming calls to the dealers. i have worked on it myself - replaced augur motor, igniter, thermostats and removed and tested the main control board so I can figure out more or less if I am given information from this site as long as the responder doesn't get carried away. I am after all, a woman and retired. I have to wait until the stove cools down and then vacuum out the ashpot. Getting tired of dragging out the shop vac. Well, upside is I don't put the vacuum away, just leave it off to the side If a potential thief broke in, it's likely to trip over the vacuum and break a leg. you can see the rod on the left and the igniter in the front, the offending plate on the bottom. I appreciate any help, Thank you so much in advance.

pellet.stove.jpg pellet.stove2.jpg.JPG

The rod goes into the bottom plate and is held there by a cotterpin pita but thats why it isn’t working the pin fell out or rusted away or the boltit pivots on is missing

Last edited:
The rod goes into the bottom plate and is held there by a cotterpin pita but thats why it isn’t working the pin fell out or rusted away or the boltit pivots on is missing
THANK YOU!!! I thought it might be on the bottom of the pivot bolt, which is still attached. I had to replace a bolt that I found in the ash pan a couple of years back - I don't remember seeing a cotter pin. Is it a custom make for the stove part? Thanks again.

Cotter pin looks like its on yours but the pivot bolt is missing.

cotter pin. pita ( pain in the a*s). Relly hard to get back in

Not withstanding, if I was a single woman living alone, I'd have a handgun handy for any burglar. Much more decisive than tripping over a vacuum cleaner and more permanent a solutions as well.

Having said that, no sane burglar would ever break in here. I always have at least one pistol within reach.

Other than that, good luck with your stove.... :)

THANK YOU!!! I thought it might be on the bottom of the pivot bolt, which is still attached. I had to replace a bolt that I found in the ash pan a couple of years back - I don't remember seeing a cotter pin. Is it a custom make for the stove part? Thanks again.
Cotter pin looks like its on yours but the pivot bolt is missing.

cotter pin. pita ( pain in the a*s). Relly hard to get back in
Hopefully I'll figure it out. I had to rough time replacing the igniter. Not one source told me to pull it out because the stove fit it with extra wire. I called the company and they did not know. I struggled with it until I followed the wire and saw the extra wire in the back. I appreciate your help . How is it you know so much if you will not mind my being so personal. I just appreciate and admire knowledge. This is a great forum, I'm so pleased that it is current.

Not withstanding, if I was a single woman living alone, I'd have a handgun handy for any burglar. Much more decisive than tripping over a vacuum cleaner and more permanent a solutions as well.

Having said that, no sane burglar would ever break in here. I always have at least one pistol within reach.

Other than that, good luck with your stove.... :)
I live in rural Ct way back in the woods and I have that issue covered. I practice in the back yard and am a light sleeper. I am not a victim, trust me. Anyone tries to get in here, they would be after my well known banana cream pie, not my jewelry.

Reactions: Ssyko
I live in rural Ct way back in the woods and I have that issue covered. I practice in the back yard and am a light sleeper. I am not a victim, trust me. Anyone tries to get in here, they would be after my well known banana cream pie, not my jewelry.

i have been burning a cb1200 since 2000. And ive completely tore it down and refurbished it once about 8 yes ago. It was retired to my shop when i got a deal. For a new enviro maxx .

i have been burning a cb1200 since 2000. And ive completely tore it down and refurbished it once about 8 yes ago. It was retired to my shop when i got a deal. For a new enviro maxx .
it need refurbishing after 13 years? Short life span for a stove so expensive I think they are 3k now.....

it need refurbishing after 13 years? Short life span for a stove so expensive I think they are 3k now.....
I believe the pivot bolt is there. I think it's the pivot bolt anyway. I googled it and the part came up under automotive and it looks the same. I'll feel in there to see if there is a hold in the bottom of it to take a cotter pin My other alternative i to go into the store and ask to see the mechanism so I can see for myself. I appreciate all your help.

If you look closely on the left side, you will see the rod goes through the pot floor plate then into the ash plate. The cotter pin is in that and it is good. Now if you follow thet bottom ash plate. Down over the bend you will see a hole that is where the pivot bolt goes, now that pivot bolt is a shoulder bolt. The sholder goes in the hole of the plate but not through the bottom into the ash pan.327F9689-573A-4E98-BD18-329733F30F57.png

If you look closely on the left side, you will see the rod goes through the pot floor plate then into the ash plate. The cotter pin is in that and it is good. Now if you follow thet bottom ash plate. Down over the bend you will see a hole that is where the pivot bolt goes, now that pivot bolt is a shoulder bolt. The sholder goes in the hole of the plate but not through the bottom into the ash pan.View attachment 271717
Thank you so much. If we were neighbors there would be fresh pie at your doorstep. I ended up with another issue with the stove so I am waiting for the tylenol to kick in.