Classic Bay 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JGroUSMC

Dec 1, 2015
Slatington, PA
I have no more ideas...... here is what’s happening:

Plug Classic Bay 1200 (blue lights flash and exhaust comes on)
Red light goes on (calls for pellets)
Pellets drop
FIRE
Then nothing....fire dies no more pellets drop.

I replaced the control board because the other one didn’t even flash leds.

I replaced the thermocouple and cover.

On the initial fire, the control board doesn’t turn green at all. I read a few places that it should turn green.

I appreciate any help. Thank you!

The control box only turns on a green light when firepot tc senses 200*. At 600 it will turn red. Is the stove feeding enough on initial drop to get stove going? Try throwing a handful in pot before it calls for heat and see how it does. kap

The control box only turns on a green light when firepot tc senses 200*. At 600 it will turn red. Is the stove feeding enough on initial drop to get stove going? Try throwing a handful in pot before it calls for heat and see how it does. kap

Nothing. It’s getting crazy hot in there. The flames were going up high. I could hear the stove creaking from the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you changed the thermocouple, did you put the wires back on exactly like the old one?

When you changed the thermocouple, did you put the wires back on exactly like the old one?

I believe so.
0e29a68cc0113766e4fe549c00e28de0.jpg

Shouldn't be that hot with just a handful and the initial drop. Evidently the drop tube tc is not reading heat. When things cool down make sure the tc is touching the inside end of the cover or it won't read right. Also make sure it is sticking in the pot 3/4 to one inch, to read temp correctly. If that don't work, time to check the firepot tc to see if it is good, even though it is new. All it takes is a continuity test. kap

Shouldn't be that hot with just a handful and the initial drop. Evidently the drop tube tc is not reading heat. When things cool down make sure the tc is touching the inside end of the cover or it won't read right. Also make sure it is sticking in the pot 3/4 to one inch, to read temp correctly. If that don't work, time to check the firepot tc to see if it is good, even though it is new. All it takes is a continuity test. kap

It’s about that I think.

5669cdb96be003a19c58facac3a3ef32.jpg

Make sure it is touching the inside end of the cover. Remember it is hot. lol

I pushed it in as far as it would go. Someone said on another forum to make sure the thermocouple line wasn’t kinked. I don’t think mine is.

You don't want to bend the line too much or it can crack the inside covering and cause issues.

Is this from you feeding it pellets?

The conv fan just came on, but it still won’t feed pellets after its initial dump. I got it that high by putting in a hand full and hitting reset twice.

Still boils down to firepot tc or control box, with no green or red light coming on

When fire has died down, unplug stove, pull control box and reseat it. Plug stove back in and see if it helps. Sometimes they don't seat properly. Just be sure to always unplug stove when removing or installing a control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. kap

And you still need to test firepot tc for continuity, to see if it is good

As long as screws are tight, should be good

And it's been a while since I worked on an older 1200 to tell you if that is the right way for the colored wires. They have harness's now they plug into and the wires are inside the junction box. kap

I just looked at mine and it looks like they are correct. But no harm in switching them to test it. If it don’t work put them back.

Reactions: kappel15