Clean Out Tee Icicles / Dripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronM

Mar 6, 2014
Guelph, Ontario
On week 2 of burning in my Biomass 40. So far, so good! Thankful to have the expertise of folks here (such as Taxidermist Rob) to help me troubleshoot.

Looking for some advice on condensation. I have searched and read, but would like a fresh take.

My 40 is installed in an uninsulated single car garage about 75 feet from the house. I have about a 38" run from the back of the 40 directly into the clean out Tee. From here, another 15' stainless double walled pipe on the exterior of the garage/shed.

Since I had lots of stainless, I used that inside the garage to connect to the clean out Tee as well. Have 2 of the 30 degree double walled black connectors to make about a 3/4" rise possible between the boiler and the clean out.

Drafts well, gasses well now that I have my air controls figured out.

Problem is this: Depending on the exterior temperature, I get condensation happening in the exterior portion of the chimney. This drips out my clean out Tee, forming yellow and clear icicles.

Originally, this was occurring at the 30 degree elbow connecting boiler to the Tee. I sealed and wrapped the entire interior pipe assembly in insulation to minimize the change in temperature. I fully understand that I will be venting steam and little smoke.

Far as I can tell, directly correlates to temperature extremes. -25C last week vs -5C today, very different moisture levels.

I am thinking of building a box around the exterior portion of the chimney this summer and insulating it. Any thoughts on this? Better to spend the time and money insulating the shed? Convert to a roof exit chimney? Or just live with sweet yellow icicles?

You say you have 'double wall pipe' outside - exactly what is that? Is it just double wall stove pipe, or insulated chimney ('Class A')? I never have any condensation, with 30' of Class A - just some steam out the top, maybe a couple small icicles hanging off the cap when it's real cold out. Pic of chimney?

Maybe I am describing it incorrectly. It's exterior stainless stove pipe, Supervent 2100, so 'Class A'.

Will grab some pics when I return home.

I previously had icicles hanging off the top, but removed the cap. Now I get them out the clean out tee instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.